What is the radius of the orbit of an electron?

In summary, the radius of the orbit of an electron traveling at 9.0 x 10^6 m/s around a zinc nucleus with 30 protons can be calculated using Coulomb's Law and Centripetal force. By setting the two forces equal to each other, the radius can be found to be 93.80143 picometers. However, this problem cannot be solved using quantum mechanics as it does not involve an orbit or electron velocity.
bbbl67

Homework Statement

What is the radius of the orbit of an electron traveling at 9.0 x 10^6 m/s around a zinc nucleus which contains 30 protons?

Homework Equations

I don't know if this problem can be solved quantum mechanically, all I can think of doing is solving it classically, using Coulomb's Law and Centripetal force.

(1) Centripetal Force:
F = (m v^2)/r |
r | radius
F | centripetal force
v | rotation speed
m | mass
https://is.gd/CL6WBe

(2) Coulomb's Law:
F = (Q_1 Q_2)/(4 pi e_0 r^2) | U = (Q_1 Q_2)/(4 pi e_0 r) |
F | force
Q_1 | charge 1
Q_2 | charge 2
r | distance
U | potential energy
e_0 | electric constant (˜ 8.854×10^-12 F/m)
(in vacuum)
https://is.gd/P5JR1H

The Attempt at a Solution

Then you use the balance of forces to find the radius.
F(1) = F(2)
(m v^2)/r = (Q_1 Q_2)/(4 pi e_0 r^2)
r = (Q_1 Q_2)/(4 pi e_0 m v^2) = ?
Q_1 = 1 e = 1.6021766×10^-19 C
Q_2 = 30 e = 4.8065299×10^-18 C
m = 1 m_e = 9.109384×10^-31 kg
v = 9.0E+6 m/s
r = ( 1.6021766×10^-19 C * 4.8065299×10^-18 C) / ( 4 pi e_0 (9.109384×10^-31 kg) (9.0E+6 m/s)^2)
= 9.380143×10^-11 meters
= 93.80143 picometers
https://is.gd/ttIdyJ

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with your equations, And yes, edit, I agree with your result.

Likes bbbl67
This calls for LaTeX.

In QM you can't talk about an orbit nor the electron velocity, so QM would be of no help here.

Other than that I trust Charles :wink:

What is the radius of the orbit of an electron?

The radius of the orbit of an electron is not a fixed value and can vary depending on the energy level of the electron. The most commonly used estimate for the radius of the first energy level of a hydrogen atom is about 0.529 Å (angstroms).

Why is the radius of an electron's orbit important?

The radius of an electron's orbit is important because it determines the energy level of the electron. This, in turn, affects the chemical and physical properties of an atom, as well as its reactivity and bonding behavior.

How is the radius of an electron's orbit calculated?

The radius of an electron's orbit can be calculated using the Bohr model of the atom, which takes into account the Coulombic attraction between the positively charged nucleus and the negatively charged electron. The formula used is r = n^2 * h^2 / 4π^2 * ε0 * me * Z, where n is the principal quantum number, h is Planck's constant, ε0 is the permittivity of free space, me is the mass of an electron, and Z is the atomic number of the atom.

Can the radius of an electron's orbit change?

Yes, the radius of an electron's orbit can change. This can happen when the electron gains or loses energy, causing it to move to a different energy level. It can also be affected by external factors such as the presence of other atoms or molecules.

Is the radius of an electron's orbit the same in all atoms?

No, the radius of an electron's orbit can vary in different atoms. It is dependent on the atomic number, which is unique to each element. This means that the radius of an electron's orbit is different for each element on the periodic table.