1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Quantum Mechanics (Townsend or Mcintyre)

1. Oct 10, 2016 #1
    I've heard good things about A Modern Approach to Quantum Mechanics by Townsend and Quantum Mechanics by Mcintyre. They use the same spin approach, but what are the pros and cons of each book?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2016 #2
    I noticed that there are some topics missing in Mcintyre (i.e. variational method, short intro to scattering, etc) but Townsend starts early about angular momentum, can anyone comment on these issues?

4. Oct 15, 2016 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I would say Townsend without any trace of doubt.

5. Oct 15, 2016 #4
    I like McIntyre better than Townsend. YMMV.

6. Oct 15, 2016 #5
    Why is that? I would like to know your comment and experience on this book. Is it complete? As I saw it, there are topics which are not in Mcintyre where it is present in Townsend, for example, Aharonov Bohm effect, some I stated above, etc.

7. Oct 16, 2016 #6
    Just personal Preference. I find McIntyre to be less dry than Townsend. I was self studying and McIntyre kept me engaged and interested but Townsend did not. They are both very good book however - you cannot go wrong with either of them. QM is such a vast area, one book is not often sufficient. You can always go back to several other resources when you have had a chance to study the fundamentals from a book that you like.

8. Oct 16, 2016 #7

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

My assessment was purely based on the available TOC, thus the recommendation is for the proposed content, not for the style of writing.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted