1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Spin First Approach to Quantum Mechanics Textbook

1. Feb 14, 2016 #1
    So far I have seen Sakurai, Townsend, Cohen Tannoudji, Feynman, and McIntyre. Are there any other books that take this approach? Just curious.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2016 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Schwinger too.

4. Feb 15, 2016 #3
    Which book by schwinger?

5. Feb 15, 2016 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

6. Feb 15, 2016 #5
    Thanks

7. May 21, 2016 #6
    Any other?

8. May 22, 2016 #7

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

"Quantum Mechanics: Theory and Experiment" by Mark Beck,

https://www.amazon.com/Quantum-Mech...8&qid=1463931299&sr=8-1&keywords=beck+quantum

starts with light polarization, then moves on to spin, and doesn't arrive at the Schrodinger equation until chapter 9. This is the only undergrad quantum mechanics book of which I know that gives a detailed treatment of why photons are not needed to explain the photoelectric effect (probably some undergrad quantum optic texts also do this)..

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  9. May 22, 2016 #8
    I guess Susskind is spins first as well but somehow he does not talk about Stern Gerlach.

10. May 23, 2016 #9
    Benjamin Schumacher and Michael Westmoreland
    https://www.amazon.com/Quantum-Processes-Information-Benjamin-Schumacher/dp/052187534X/

It starts with single-photon interferometers and spin-1/2 particles as two-level systems in chapter 2, then talk about the formalism, entanglement, correlated states, maps and measurements (density operators, CP maps and POVMs). Not until the second half of the book do they introduce infinite dimensional systems.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted