1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Mechanics Variational Method

1. Oct 29, 2011 #1

cep

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider a particle in a box in the interval [-a,a]. Use the trial wavefunction

ψT = x(a-x2)

to obtain an approximate energy for the first excited state of the box as a function of a.

2. Relevant equations

Schrodinger equation, Hamiltonian for atomic units is 1/2(d2/dx2)

Normalized energy E = ∫-aaψ*Hψdx/∫-aaψ*ψdx

3. The attempt at a solution

Right, so I just plugged in ψT to the energy equation, and after evaluating the integrals, got E = 1-(3/5)a2 / [a(a2/7-1/15)]. The problem is, this function is discontinuous. It is discontinuous at 0, which makes sense to me, and at a = √(7/15), which I don't understand. I'm pretty sure my integrations were done properly... can anyone either explain this discontinuity to me, or tell me why my set-up was flawed?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2011 #2

cep

Okay, I found one error in my integration. The revised function is E = 1-(3/5)a / [a(a^2/7-1/15)]. Still has the same discontinuity problems, though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook