1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum mechanics, wavefunction problem

1. Oct 25, 2011 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider the wavefunction [itex]\Psi (x,t)=c_1 \psi _1 (x)e^{-\frac{iE_1t}{\hbar}}+c_2 \psi _2 (x)e^{-\frac{iE_2t}{\hbar}}[/itex] where [itex]\psi _1 (x)[/itex] and [itex]\psi _2 (x)[/itex] are normalized and orthogonal. Knowing [itex]\Psi (x,0)[/itex], find the values of [itex]c_1[/itex] and [itex]c_2[/itex].

2. Relevant equations

[itex]C^2 \int _{-\infty}^{\infty} |\Psi (x,t)|^2 dx=1[/itex]. I also know that the product of psi 1 by psi 2 is worth 0 (they are orthogonal) so this simplifies the expression to integrate.
    But I'm still left with the integration of both lower case psi functions that I don't know how to handle.
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm thinking on how to use the fact that I know Psi at t=0 but so far I'm out of ideas.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2011 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

[itex]\psi _i (x)[/itex]-s are orthonormal, what does it mean on the integrals of [itex]\psi _i ^* (x) \psi _j (x)[/itex]?

ehild

4. Nov 22, 2011 #3

fluidistic

Gold Member

Sorry for being almost 1 month late. That they are worth 1?

Edit: Is what I've done right?:
    [itex]\int _{-\infty}^{\infty} \Psi _1 (x) \Psi (x,0)dx=c_1 \int _{-\infty}^{\infty} \Psi _1 ^2 (x)dx=c_1[/itex].
    In the same fashion I get [itex]c_2=\int _{-\infty}^{\infty} \Psi _2 (x) \Psi (x,0)dx[/itex].
    But I didn't use any complex conjugate... I must be missing something.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  5. Nov 22, 2011 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

That's almost correct. It should be
    [tex]c_i = \int \psi_i^*(x)\Psi(x,0)\,dx[/tex]When you calculate the inner product, you use the complex conjugate of the first function in the integrand.

6. Nov 23, 2011 #5

fluidistic

Gold Member

Let's see if I understand:
    [itex]\int _{- \infty}^{\infty} \Psi _1 ^* (x) \Psi (x,0)dx=c_1 \int _{- \infty}^{\infty} \Psi _1 ^* (x) \Psi _1 (x)dx=c_1 \int _{-\infty} ^{\infty} |\Psi _1 (x)|^2 dx=c_1[/itex].
    Am I right if I say that since [itex]\Psi _1(x)[/itex] and [itex]\Psi _2 (x)[/itex] are orthogonal, so is [itex]\Psi _1^* (x)[/itex] with [itex]\Psi _2 (x)[/itex]? Because I'm using this fact!
    Thanks for your help guys.

7. Nov 23, 2011 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Yup. When you say the two are orthogonal, you mean that
    [tex]\int \psi_1^*(x)\psi_2(x)\,dx = 0.[/tex]It does not mean that
    [tex]\int \psi_1(x)\psi_2(x)\,dx = 0.[/tex]The complex conjugation is a vital part of taking the inner product.

8. Nov 23, 2011 #7

fluidistic

Gold Member

Oh, I understand. Wow, thank so you much. My understanding was so poor before I asked help for this problem... now things are getting clearer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook