1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum operators and commutation relations

1. Apr 4, 2016 #1

CAF123

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given the mode expansion of the quantum field ##\phi## and the conjugate field one can derive $$\mathbf P = \int \frac{d^3 \mathbf p}{(2\pi)^3 2 \omega(\mathbf p)} \mathbf p a(\mathbf p)^{\dagger} a(\mathbf p)$$ By writing $$e^X = \text{lim}_{n \rightarrow \infty} \left(1+\frac{X}{n}\right)^n$$ calculate ##[\mathbf P, a(\mathbf q)^{\dagger}]## and hence evaluate $$\exp(-i \mathbf P \cdot \mathbf z) a(\mathbf q)^{\dagger} \exp(i \mathbf P \cdot \mathbf z),$$ with ##\mathbf z## a constant vector.

2. Relevant equations
    ##[AB,C] = A[B,C] + [A,C]B##

Commutation relations for the creation and annihilation operators.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think I can show that ##[\mathbf P, a(\mathbf q)^{\dagger}] = \mathbf q a(\mathbf q)^{\dagger}## but why in particular is this definition of the exponential useful? I can use it to rewrite the exponential factors appearing in that expression but that gives me $$\text{lim}_{n \rightarrow \infty} \text{lim}_{r \rightarrow \infty} \left(1- i \frac{\mathbf P \cdot \mathbf z}{n}\right)^n a(\mathbf q)^{\dagger} \left(1+ i \frac{\mathbf P \cdot \mathbf z}{r}\right)^r$$ but I can't see an easy way to proceed.

It seems to me that I could make more progress using the Baker Campbell Hausdorff formula for non commuting exponentials

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2016 #2

strangerep

Science Advisor

Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
  4. Apr 5, 2016 #3

CAF123

Gold Member

Hi strangerep,
    Is this to help me in computing ##[\mathbf P,a(q)^{\dagger}]?## I think I managed to do this using the integral representation of the spatial momentum in terms of c/a operators. My result was ##qa(q)^{\dagger}##. So this tells me that ##a(q)^{\dagger}## and ##\mathbf P## do not commute and so the expression ##\exp(-iP \cdot z) a(q)^{\dagger} \exp(i P \cdot z)## can't be simplified trivially. i thought about using the BCH formula for ##e^{-X} A e^X## and operators X and A but I am instructed to use the limit definition of the exponential and I can't see how to progress using such a definition.
    Yup, I should have said ##\phi## is a real scalar field.

5. Apr 5, 2016 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Can you use your commutation relation for ##[\mathbf P,a(q)^{\dagger}]## to move ##a(q)^{\dagger}## all the way to the left in the expression ##\left( 1-i P \cdot z \right)a(q)^{\dagger}##?

Repeat for ##\left( 1-i \Large{\frac{P \cdot z}{2}}\right)^2a(q)^{\dagger}##.

6. Apr 5, 2016 #5

CAF123

Gold Member

Hi TSny,

I suppose you are maybe hinting at me trying a few cases and seeing if there is a generalisation? $$(1-iP \cdot z) a(q)^{\dagger} = ((a(q)^{\dagger} - i((a(q)^{\dagger} P \cdot z + q \cdot z a(q)^{\dagger}))$$ Then $$\left(1-i \frac{P \cdot z}{2}\right)^2 a(q)^{\dagger} = (1-iP \cdot z) a(q)^{\dagger} - \frac{1}{4} (P \cdot z)^2 a(q)^{\dagger}$$ It seems like the first term will be common but the second term is not?

Thanks!

7. Apr 5, 2016 #6

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes.
    Simplify by factoring ##a(q)^{\dagger}## out to the left on the RHS.
    Write $$\left(1-i \frac{P \cdot z}{2}\right)^2 a(q)^{\dagger} = \left(1-i \frac{P \cdot z}{2}\right) \left(1-i \frac{P \cdot z}{2}\right)a(q)^{\dagger}$$ Try moving ##a(q)^{\dagger}## all the way to the left (one set of parentheses at a time).

8. Apr 5, 2016 #7

CAF123

Gold Member

$$a(q)^{\dagger}(1-i(P+q)\cdot z)$$
    I get that $$a(q)^{\dagger}\left(1-\frac{i}{2}(P+q)\cdot z \right)^2$$

So, we end up with $$\text{lim}_{n,r \rightarrow \infty} a(q)^{\dagger} \left(1-\frac{i}{n}((P+q)\cdot z)\right)^n \left(1+\frac{i}{r} P \cdot z \right)^r = a(q)^{\dagger} \exp(-i(P+q)\cdot z) \exp(i P \cdot z) = a(q)^{\dagger} \exp(-iq \cdot z)$$

Similarly, I can compute e.g $$I = \exp(-iP \cdot z) \phi(x) \exp(i P \cdot z)$$ where $$\phi(x) = \int \frac{d^3 q}{(2\pi)^3 2 w(q)} (a(q) e^{-iq \cdot x} + a(q)^{\dagger} e^{iq \cdot x})$$ and using the results above gives the result that ##I## is ##\phi(t, \mathbf x - \mathbf z)## so that ##I## is a space translation operator for the field ##\phi## in the ##-z## direction. The last result makes sense to me, so I guess my answer to the first part was also correct?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  9. Apr 5, 2016 #8

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That looks good. You've shown that the momentum operator is the generator of translations in space. I think most people would refer to ##\exp(-iP \cdot z)## as the translation operator rather than ##I##.

Yes, I believe you worked the first part correctly.

10. Apr 5, 2016 #9

strangerep

Science Advisor

No. That part's easy.

I'm not sure whether you need any more hints from me -- maybe TSny's hints are enough?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted