Quantum Operators - Eigenvalues & states

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the eigenvalues and eigenstates of an operator for a system, which is given by \hat{H}_0 = \frac{\hbar \omega}{2}\left[\left|1\right\rangle\left\langle1\right| - \left|0\right\rangle\left\langle0\right|\right]. The attempt at a solution involves formulating the operator as a matrix and finding the eigenvalues to be -1 and 1. However, when putting these values back into the eigenvalue equation, the resulting equations may seem nonsensical due to the fact that a multiple of a solution is still a solution. It is important to choose a convenient value for the
knowlewj01

Homework Statement

an operator for a system is given by

[itex]\hat{H}_0 = \frac{\hbar \omega}{2}\left[\left|1\right\rangle\left\langle1\right| - \left|0\right\rangle\left\langle0\right|\right][/itex]

find the eigenvalues and eigenstates

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

so i formulated this operator as a matrix

[itex]\frac{\hbar \omega}{2}
\left( \begin{array}{cc}
-1 & 0 \\
0 & 1 \\ \end{array} \right)
[/itex]
and found the eigenvalues to be -1 and 1

but when i put them back into the eigenvalue equation Hx = λx [x is a 2 row column vector with elements x1 and x2]
i get nonsense, something like

for λ=1:
x1 = -x1
x2 = x2

for λ=-1:
x1 = x1
x2 = -x2

am i missing something important here?

thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
knowlewj01 said:
but when i put them back into the eigenvalue equation Hx = λx [x is a 2 row column vector with elements x1 and x2]
i get nonsense, something like

for λ=1:
x1 = -x1
x2 = x2

for λ=-1:
x1 = x1
x2 = -x2

am i missing something important here?

thanks.

Those look fine with no nonsense. Try solving each set of equations. One equation will fix one component, while the other doesn't fix anything. This is because, as with any eigenvector equation, a multiple of a solution is still a solution. You should just pick a convenient choice for the unknown variable in order to write down a solution.

1. What is a quantum operator?

A quantum operator is a mathematical operation that acts on a quantum state to produce another quantum state. It is used to describe the evolution of a quantum system over time.

2. What are eigenvalues and eigenstates?

Eigenvalues are the possible outcomes of a measurement of a quantum observable. They represent the values that an observable can take on. Eigenstates are the corresponding states of a system that produce these eigenvalues when measured.

3. How are quantum operators and eigenvalues related?

Quantum operators are used to compute the eigenvalues of a system. The eigenvalues correspond to the observable properties of the system, and the eigenvectors correspond to the states of the system that produce those eigenvalues when measured.

4. What is the significance of eigenvalues and eigenstates in quantum mechanics?

Eigenvalues and eigenstates play a crucial role in quantum mechanics as they represent the possible outcomes of measurements and the corresponding states of the system. They also provide a way to describe the evolution of a quantum system over time.

5. How are quantum operators and eigenstates used in quantum computing?

In quantum computing, quantum operators are used to manipulate qubits, which are quantum bits that can exist in multiple states at the same time. Eigenstates are used to represent the different states that a qubit can be in, and quantum operators act on these states to perform operations and calculations.