1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum particle reflection from a potential drop

1. Jul 23, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A quantum mechanical particle with mass [tex]m[/tex] and energy [tex]E[/tex] approaches a potential drop from the [tex]-x[/tex] region, where the potential is described by:
    [tex]V(x)=\left\{\stackrel{0 textrm{if} x\leq 0}{-V_0 textrm{if} x> 0}[/tex].

What is the probability it will be reflected by the potential?

2. Relevant equations
    Incident Wave: [tex] \Psi (x,t) = A e^{k x - \omega t} \textrm{where} k= \sqrt{2 m D} /2 [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I want to say 0, but that's without doing the math on it. The continuity equations yield 3 unknowns (A, B, C

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2008 #2
    Ignore above post. I posted too soon. Here's my real question.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A quantum mechanical particle with mass [tex]m[/tex] and energy [tex]E[/tex] approaches a potential drop from the [tex]-x[/tex] region, where the potential is described by:
    [tex]V(x)=\left\{\stackrel{0 \textrm{if} x\leq 0}{-V_0 \textrm{if} x> 0}[/tex].

What is the probability it will be reflected by the potential?

2. Relevant equations
    Incident Wave: [tex] \Psi (x,t) = A e^{k x - \omega t} \textrm{where} k= \sqrt{2 m E} / \hbar [/tex]

Reflected Wave: [tex] \Psi (x,t) = B e^{-k x - \omega t} \textrm{where} k= \sqrt{2 m E} / \hbar [/tex]

Transmitted Wave: [tex] \Psi (x,t) = C e^{k x - \alpha t} \textrm{where} \alpha = \sqrt{2 m (E+V_0)} / \hbar [/tex]

Continuity Equations: [tex] \Psi_A + \Psi_B = \Psi_C [/tex] and [tex] \partial_x \Psi_A + \partial_x \Psi_B = \partial_x \Psi_C [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Plug in [tex] \Psi_A[/tex], [tex] \Psi_B[/tex], and [tex] \Psi_C[/tex] into the continuity equations and get these two equations:

[tex]A + B = C [/tex]
    [tex]i A k - i B k = i C \alpha [/tex]

Plug the first into the second, and get
    [tex] \frac{B}{A} = \frac{k -\alpha}{k + \alpha} [/tex]

which is the probability of reflection.

Now, the math makes sense, but it doesn't make sense overall because if [tex]\alpha [/tex] is greater than [tex]k[/tex] then the probability is negative. Also, reflecting from a drop in potential doesn't make sense intuitively... but that may just be QM.

Any ideas?

4. Jul 23, 2008 #3

kreil

Gold Member

There should be absolute value brackets around the B/A equation, which is why alpha being greater than k doesnt produce a negative probability.

5. Jul 23, 2008 #4
    Hmm... Okay. Even still, wouldn't large [tex]V_0[/tex] lead to large [tex]\alpha[/tex], and thus for large [tex]V_0[/tex], |B|/|A| --> 1?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?