In summary, the correlation between the height in b) and energy levels height in c) and T and R is due to the factor of k, which is defined as the square root of (2m(V_0-E)/h). This factor is used in the formulas for T and R, which are T=1-R and R=|A|^2/|B|^2, respectively. When plugging in k into the R formula, the opposite answer is obtained, which may be due to incorrect use of the formula or incorrect definition of k. Further clarification is needed to fully understand the relationship between these variables.
Graham87
Homework Statement
In which case would you expect the reflection coefficient to largest, for a particle with energy E?

For which of the energy levels would you expect that the tansmission coefficient would be largest?
Relevant Equations
##R=\frac{|A|^2}{|B|^2}##

##T=1-R##

##k=\sqrt{\frac{2m(V_0-E)}{h}}##

##\psi(x)=Ae^{kx}+Be^{-kx}##
5B8339D6-25BE-4C8D-8B2F-C3F02DEAF4B3.jpeg

In a) I get that T should be largest where V_0 is least wide, because when V_0 is infinitely wide the particle would be fully reflected.
But I don't get how height in b) and energy levels height in c) correlates to T and R.

Is it because of their k? I get the opposite answer from the correct one when I plug k in the R formula. ##R=\frac{|A|^2}{|B|^2}##

##T=1-R##

##k=\sqrt{\frac{2m(V_0-E)}{h}}##

##\psi(x)=Ae^{kx}+Be^{-kx}##Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Graham87 said:
But I don't get how height in b) and energy levels height in c) correlates to T and R.

Is it because of their k? I get the opposite answer from the correct one when I plug k in the R formula.
You need to define what you mean by ##k##. And what formulas are you using for ##T## and ##R##?

Likes Graham87
vela said:
You need to define what you mean by ##k##. And what formulas are you using for ##T## and ##R##?
Done!

1. What is a finite square well in quantum mechanics?

A finite square well is a potential energy barrier that has a finite width and height, meaning it is not infinitely deep or infinitely wide. It is often used as a model to study the behavior of particles in a confined space.

2. How does a particle behave in a finite square well?

In a finite square well, a particle's behavior is described by the Schrödinger equation, which determines the probability of finding the particle at a certain position within the well. The particle can either be bound within the well, meaning it has a finite amount of energy, or it can be in a state of free motion outside of the well.

3. What is the significance of the finite square well in quantum mechanics?

The finite square well is a simple yet important model in quantum mechanics that helps us understand the behavior of particles in confined spaces. It is used to study phenomena such as tunneling, where a particle can pass through the potential barrier even if it does not have enough energy to overcome it.

4. How does the width and height of a finite square well affect a particle's behavior?

The width and height of a finite square well determine the energy levels and the probability of finding a particle at a certain position within the well. A wider well allows for more energy levels and a higher probability of finding the particle at a certain position. A higher well creates a larger potential barrier, making it more difficult for a particle to escape the well.

5. Can the finite square well model be applied to real-world systems?

While the finite square well is a simplified model, it can be applied to real-world systems such as atoms and molecules. These systems can be approximated as a finite square well, allowing us to make predictions about their behavior and properties. However, the model may need to be modified to account for other factors such as the effects of other particles or external forces.