Quantum physics and philosophy (books)

• Thread starter sayetsu
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Summary:: Looking for recommendations

Are there any books on the philosophical implications of quantum theory by people who know what they're talking about?

Answers and Replies

I'll check it out. Thanks!

Dr_Nate
Science Advisor
Opinions vary, but I really like Tim Maudlin's latest: Philosophy of Physics: Quantum Theory

(Yes, he knows what he's talking about.)
I realized the OP is asking for the Venn diagram intersection of those that understand QM, those that understand philosophy, and those that write well.

I'm always interested in a good read. Why do you suggest this book?

haushofer
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Norsens "foundations of qm" is also very good.

Likes Demystifier
Doc Al
Mentor
I realized the OP is asking for the Venn diagram intersection of those that understand QM, those that understand philosophy, and those that write well.

I'm always interested in a good read. Why do you suggest this book?
Maudlin understands both physics and philosophy. And he writes clearly. I've profited from his earlier work, Quantum Non-Locality and Relativity. (I have all three editions.)

Absolutely! Here's the link, in case anyone is interested: Foundations of Quantum Mechanics: An Exploration of the Physical Meaning of Quantum Theory

Norsen's target audience is physics undergrads who've taken some quantum. Highly recommended. (I wish such books were around in my day.)
And here's the springer link: https://link.springer.com/book/10.1007/978-3-319-65867-4
I am adding this because some universities would give you access to it if you connect through the campus' wifi.