1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum physics: proving wave packet is normalized

1. Jan 28, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Following gaussian wave packet: ## \psi (x)= \frac{1}{\sqrt{\sqrt{\pi a^2}}} e^{-\frac{x^2}{2a^2}}##
    Prove that this function is normalized.

2. Relevant equations
    ## \int_{- \infty}^{\infty} |\psi (x)|^2 dx = 1##

3. The attempt at a solution
    Is ## \frac{1}{\sqrt{\sqrt{\pi a^2}}} \int_{- \infty}^{\infty} e^{-\frac{x^2}{a^2}} dx## equal to 1?

I have a solution given, but I don't really get how they even got that solution:

## \frac{1}{\sqrt{\pi a^2}} \sqrt{\pi a^2}## = 1
    But that solution totally ignores the double root in the first term, and I'm mond boggled how they managed to integrate the exponent to ending up as ##\sqrt{\pi a^2}##? Actually I don't manage to clearly and unambiuously integrate that exponent myself.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2015 #2

DEvens

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

First, note that the equation in 2 has the square of the wave function. That is why the exponent is exp(-x^2 / a^2) instead of exp(-x^2 / [2*a^2] ). Right? So why didn't you square the multiplier out front as well?

As to how to do the integral: The problem is you have this integral of exp(-x^2/a^2) with respect to x. And that's hard. But note that it's an integral from -infinity to +infinity. And the hint is that the answer seems to have a square root in it. So what about doing the square of the integral? You can convert to an integral over r and theta in 2-D, and you should be able to do that integral. Then take the square root, and violins.

4. Jan 28, 2015 #3
    You are correct. I forgot to square the constant before the exponent. My eye fell on the fact that it's a Gaussian wave packet, therefore it's a Gaussian integral, which is basically what you're epxlaining (I think). ##\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-x^2}## would be ## \sqrt{\pi}## and the ##a^2## would just be multiplied under the squareroot following the features of a Gaussion integral. So, yes the solution I had from the course is what I was so puzzled about.

5. Jan 28, 2015 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Did you also learn how to actually do this integral $$
    \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-x^2}\ \ {\rm ?} $$

6. Jan 29, 2015 #5
    There is mention of it in later chapters, with regards to Dirac and Fourrier.

7. Jan 29, 2015 #6

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Nah, don't need all that complicated stuff for this one. it's a simple but very nifty trick, good to remember (I did:) ):

They change from the 1D integral to its square, a 2D integral. In polar coordinates the ##dx\; dy## transform to ##r \;dr\; d\phi## and then it's easy (using ##r\;dr = {1\over 2}d(r^2)\ ## ). See Wiki

8. Jan 29, 2015 #7
    Thank you very much. Yes, with the polar coordinates it's not that hard. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted