Quantum physics: proving wave packet is normalized

In summary, the conversation discussed how to prove that the given gaussian wave packet function is normalized by using the equation ∫|ψ(x)|^2 dx = 1 and converting it to a 2D integral in polar coordinates. The solution given involved squaring the constant before the exponent and using the properties of a Gaussian integral. The conversation also mentioned that the integral ∫e^(-x^2) can be solved using polar coordinates.
Jillds

Homework Statement

Following gaussian wave packet: ## \psi (x)= \frac{1}{\sqrt{\sqrt{\pi a^2}}} e^{-\frac{x^2}{2a^2}}##
Prove that this function is normalized.

Homework Equations

## \int_{- \infty}^{\infty} |\psi (x)|^2 dx = 1##

The Attempt at a Solution

Is ## \frac{1}{\sqrt{\sqrt{\pi a^2}}} \int_{- \infty}^{\infty} e^{-\frac{x^2}{a^2}} dx## equal to 1?

I have a solution given, but I don't really get how they even got that solution:

## \frac{1}{\sqrt{\pi a^2}} \sqrt{\pi a^2}## = 1
But that solution totally ignores the double root in the first term, and I'm mond boggled how they managed to integrate the exponent to ending up as ##\sqrt{\pi a^2}##? Actually I don't manage to clearly and unambiuously integrate that exponent myself.

Physics news on Phys.org
First, note that the equation in 2 has the square of the wave function. That is why the exponent is exp(-x^2 / a^2) instead of exp(-x^2 / [2*a^2] ). Right? So why didn't you square the multiplier out front as well?

As to how to do the integral: The problem is you have this integral of exp(-x^2/a^2) with respect to x. And that's hard. But note that it's an integral from -infinity to +infinity. And the hint is that the answer seems to have a square root in it. So what about doing the square of the integral? You can convert to an integral over r and theta in 2-D, and you should be able to do that integral. Then take the square root, and violins.

You are correct. I forgot to square the constant before the exponent. My eye fell on the fact that it's a Gaussian wave packet, therefore it's a Gaussian integral, which is basically what you're epxlaining (I think). ##\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-x^2}## would be ## \sqrt{\pi}## and the ##a^2## would just be multiplied under the squareroot following the features of a Gaussion integral. So, yes the solution I had from the course is what I was so puzzled about.

Did you also learn how to actually do this integral $$
\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-x^2}\ \ {\rm ?} $$

There is mention of it in later chapters, with regards to Dirac and Fourrier.

Nah, don't need all that complicated stuff for this one. it's a simple but very nifty trick, good to remember (I did:) ):

They change from the 1D integral to its square, a 2D integral. In polar coordinates the ##dx\; dy## transform to ##r \;dr\; d\phi## and then it's easy (using ##r\;dr = {1\over 2}d(r^2)\ ## ). See Wiki

Thank you very much. Yes, with the polar coordinates it's not that hard. :)

1. What is a wave packet in quantum physics?

A wave packet in quantum physics is a mathematical representation of a quantum particle, which describes the probability of finding the particle at a particular location. It is a combination of many different waves with different wavelengths and amplitudes, and its shape evolves over time according to the laws of quantum mechanics.

2. How is the normalization of a wave packet defined?

The normalization of a wave packet is a mathematical concept that ensures the total probability of finding a quantum particle at any location is equal to 1. In other words, it ensures that the wave packet accurately describes the probability of finding the particle at any point in space.

3. Why is it important to prove that a wave packet is normalized?

Proving that a wave packet is normalized is crucial because it confirms that the mathematical representation of a quantum particle accurately reflects its physical behavior. It is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics and is necessary for making accurate predictions about the behavior of quantum systems.

4. What are the mathematical steps involved in proving the normalization of a wave packet?

The mathematical steps for proving the normalization of a wave packet involve integrating the wave function over all space and showing that the result equals 1. This involves solving the Schrödinger equation for the wave function, applying boundary conditions, and using mathematical techniques such as Fourier transforms and complex analysis.

5. Are there any real-world applications of proving the normalization of a wave packet?

Yes, there are several real-world applications of proving the normalization of a wave packet. It is essential in understanding the behavior of quantum particles in various physical systems, such as atoms, molecules, and solid-state materials. It is also crucial in developing quantum technologies, such as quantum computing, quantum cryptography, and quantum sensing.