1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Spin up spin down with magnetic field

1. Feb 15, 2012 #1
    There is an external magnetic field along the positive z direction B = (0,0, B) and the initial spin direction at time t0= 0 is specified by the direction cosines
    Ŝ0= (cos α0, cos β0, cos γ0)
    where α0, β0, γ0 are the angles between the initial spin and the x, y, z axes, respectively.
    This initial spin pointing in the direction Ŝ0 can be represented in terms of spin up and down states along z direction:
    ψ(α000 ) = A(α000 )α + B(α000β ) ,
    What are A and B?

For the Psi= A alpha + B beta part alpha and beta represent the |+> and |-> z sates respectively.

Hey everyone on this fine night,
    I really don't know where to start and was wondering if someone could give me a push in the right direction? Is this just asking what is the probability of it being up or down? I really can't get my foot out of the door on this :(

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?