Find Min B to Flip Spin-Up in Magnetic Field

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
KFC
Messages
477
Reaction score
4

Homework Statement


Assuming a spin 1/2 is put in a magnetic filed along z direction [tex]B_z = B*cos(w_0 t)[/tex]. At the beginning, the spin is in spin-up along x direction, i.e.

[tex]\psi(0) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left(<br /> \begin{matrix}<br /> 1 \\ 1<br /> \end{matrix}\right)[/tex]

Try to find out the minimum [tex]B[/tex] such that [tex]S_x[/tex] is flip.

2. The attempt at a solution
First of all, I write than the Hamiltonian of the system

[tex]H \propto<br /> \left(<br /> \begin{matrix}<br /> B\cos w_0t & 0\\<br /> 0 & -B\cos w_0t <br /> \end{matrix}<br /> \right)[/tex]

From that, in any time t>0, the state will evolute as [tex]\psi(t)[/tex] (I already solved that). From the time-dependent solution, I can figure out the probability to find the spin-down when measuring [tex]S_x[/tex], which is of the following form

[tex]P = \sin^2(\gamma \sin(w_0 t))[/tex]

where [tex]\gamma[/tex] is a constant containing B. Hence, to make the system flip, I have to let P=1, i.e.

[tex]\gamma \sin(w_0 t)=\pi/2[/tex]

and solve for B gives

[tex]B = \frac{k}{\sin w_0 t}[/tex]

where k is another constant. For finding the minimum B, I just take [tex]sin w_0t =1[/tex]. I don't know if my solution is correct or not. Any comment?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
KFC said:

Homework Statement


Assuming a spin 1/2 is put in a magnetic filed along z direction [tex]B_z = B*cos(w_0 t)[/tex]. At the beginning, the spin is in spin-up along x direction, i.e.

[tex]\psi(0) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left(<br /> \begin{matrix}<br /> 1 \\ 1<br /> \end{matrix}\right)[/tex]

Try to find out the minimum [tex]B[/tex] such that [tex]S_x[/tex] is flip.

2. The attempt at a solution
First of all, I write than the Hamiltonian of the system

[tex]H \propto<br /> \left(<br /> \begin{matrix}<br /> B\cos w_0t & 0\\<br /> 0 & -B\cos w_0t <br /> \end{matrix}<br /> \right)[/tex]

From that, in any time t>0, the state will evolute as [tex]\psi(t)[/tex] (I already solved that). From the time-dependent solution, I can figure out the probability to find the spin-down when measuring [tex]S_x[/tex], which is of the following form

[tex]P = \sin^2(\gamma \sin(w_0 t))[/tex]

where [tex]\gamma[/tex] is a constant containing B. Hence, to make the system flip, I have to let P=1, i.e.

[tex]\gamma \sin(w_0 t)=\pi/2[/tex]

and solve for B gives

[tex]B = \frac{k}{\sin w_0 t}[/tex]

where k is another constant. For finding the minimum B, I just take [tex]sin w_0t =1[/tex]. I don't know if my solution is correct or not. Any comment?

it seems like something may be missing from the question... is that the exact statement of the question on the homework?
 
olgranpappy said:
it seems like something may be missing from the question... is that the exact statement of the question on the homework?

Thanks for reply. This is not actually an hw. This is an exercise given by my instructor and that's all statement :)
 
KFC said:
Thanks for reply. This is not actually an hw. This is an exercise given by my instructor and that's all statement :)

then what you have looks good to me.