How does quantum tunneling enable nuclear fusion in the Sun?

In summary, the Sun's ability to radiate vast amounts of energy through nuclear fusion is made possible by the process of quantum tunneling. This occurs when the thermal energy of protons in the solar interior is not enough to overcome their Coulomb repulsion, so they must tunnel through a potential barrier in order to fuse. The Sun's high mass and pressure allow for a greater number of hydrogen atoms to undergo this tunneling process, resulting in a sustained fusion reaction at lower temperatures. This is due to the sun's low ratio of surface area to volume, limiting energy loss and allowing for high interior temperatures.
Positron137
I know that the Sun radiates vast amounts of energy partly due to nuclear fusion. I've also heard that nuclear fusion can occur in the Sun due to quantum tunneling. I'd like to know how the process of quantum tunneling in the Sun allows nuclear fusion to take place. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is because the thermal energy of the protons in the solar interior is not enough (by a factor of 1000) to overcome their Coulomb repulsion. Consequently in order to fuse they must tunnel through the barrier. See for example http://www.astro.soton.ac.uk/~pac/PH112/notes/notes/node111.html and the next pages after.

Thanks! I know this is a naive question, but I just wanted to clarify, what exactly is the "barrier"?

Sure, as the reference I cited explains, the two protons being both positively charged repel each other. This means the potential energy between then is positive and gets larger and larger as they get closer together. This is the potential barrier. But the total energy PE + KE remains the same, and eventually they get so close that KE = 0.

If they were classical particles that would be as close as they could get, but quantum particles can tunnel into the region even where KE < 0, and come out the other side (the well). This only happens with a certain small probability, but when it does it let's them get close enough together to fuse and make a nucleus of deuterium.

Ah ok. I understand that on Earth, to create nuclear fusion, we have to attain temperatures much higher than the interior of the Sun (if I am correct). But the Sun can achieve nuclear fusion at its temperature probably because it contains a much larger mass of hydrogen under high pressures, and can sustain that amount for a long time. SO with that much mass of hydrogen, the small probability becomes a very likely event. Is that a correct interpretation?

Yeah, it's probably better language to word it as a "greater number of hydrogen atoms" rather than a "larger mass of hydrogen", but that is the gist of it.

Pretty much accurate yes , basically you can go two ways , either you have extremely high temperature which assures that each of the particles has a kinetic energy high enough to fuse with other particle upon a collision, or you can go with a lower more "humane" temperature but a lot of pressure.
Now in the more pressure less temperature case the tunneling effect is more often.

The sun has a very low ratio of surface area to volume, hence energy loss by radiation is limited. Thus temperatures in the interior of the sun can reach millions of degrees even though the rate of heat production is very slow (the rate of heat production in the human body, for instance, is much higher).

Ah ok. Thanks guys!

1. What is quantum tunneling in the Sun?

Quantum tunneling in the Sun is a phenomenon in which particles, specifically protons, can pass through the Sun's nuclear fusion barrier without having enough energy to do so. This is possible due to the wave-like behavior of subatomic particles and their ability to "tunnel" through energy barriers.

2. How does quantum tunneling contribute to the Sun's energy production?

Quantum tunneling plays a crucial role in the Sun's energy production by allowing protons to fuse together and release energy. Without this phenomenon, the Sun would not have enough energy to sustain its nuclear fusion reactions, and it would eventually cool and collapse.

3. Can quantum tunneling occur in other stars or celestial bodies?

Yes, quantum tunneling can occur in other stars or celestial bodies that have similar conditions to the Sun, such as high temperatures and pressures. It is an essential process in the energy production of many stars throughout the universe.

4. Is quantum tunneling a purely quantum mechanical phenomenon?

Yes, quantum tunneling is a purely quantum mechanical phenomenon that cannot be explained by classical physics. It is based on the principles of quantum mechanics, such as the wave-particle duality of subatomic particles.

5. How is quantum tunneling studied and observed in the Sun?

Quantum tunneling in the Sun is studied and observed through various techniques, such as spectroscopy and helioseismology. These methods allow scientists to measure the energy levels and movement of particles within the Sun's core and track the effects of quantum tunneling on the Sun's energy production.