Quantum Tunnelling Technologies

In summary, the conversation discusses technologies that use quantum tunneling, particularly in touch screen phones and flat panel displays. The use of quantum tunneling in flash memory, mobile phones, and other devices is also mentioned. Links to websites for further information are requested and provided. The conversation ends with a thank you and a mention of tunnel diodes.
crissyb1988
Hey guys what are some technologies that use Quantum Tunneling? I've been looking on Google and i havnt had much luck! I just need a point in the right direction so links to websites and such would be greatly appreciated!

BTW when searching google i found Quantum Tunnelling Composites which they use in touch screen phones but most sites don't explain the physics behind it. It mainly talks about applications in the real world.

Physics news on Phys.org
Look up the use in flat panel displays of field emitters.

Zz.

thanks for that guys!

1. What is quantum tunnelling?

Quantum tunnelling is a phenomenon in which particles are able to pass through energy barriers that they would not have enough energy to overcome in classical physics. This is possible due to the wave-like nature of particles at the quantum level.

2. How is quantum tunnelling used in technology?

Quantum tunnelling is used in various technologies, such as in scanning tunneling microscopes, which use the tunnelling of electrons to create images of surfaces at the atomic level. It is also used in quantum tunneling transistors, which can switch between on and off states much faster than traditional transistors, allowing for faster and more efficient computing.

3. What are the potential applications of quantum tunnelling technologies?

The potential applications of quantum tunnelling technologies are vast, including quantum computing, quantum cryptography, and quantum sensors for highly sensitive measurements. It can also potentially be used in the development of new materials and in the study of quantum mechanics.

4. Are there any risks associated with quantum tunnelling technologies?

There are currently no known risks associated with quantum tunnelling technologies. However, as with any emerging technology, further research and testing are necessary to fully understand any potential risks and ensure safe and responsible use.

5. How is quantum tunnelling being researched and developed?

Quantum tunnelling technologies are being researched and developed by scientists and engineers in various fields, including physics, engineering, and computer science. The research is primarily focused on understanding the fundamental principles behind quantum tunnelling and finding ways to harness it for practical applications.