Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum vaccum one dimensional?

1. May 31, 2007 #1
    Is a quantum vacuum 1 dimensional?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 31, 2007 #2
    The quantum vacuum is a state in an infinite dimensional Hilbert space. To be more specific, the vacuum is the eigenstate of the Hamiltonian operator with the lowest energy eigenvalue. A more appropriate name for 'vacuum', often used in nonrelativistic QM is ground state.

If the Hilbert space of the system is spanned by the eigenstates of a single position operator X we say the system under consideration has one spatial degree of freedom. For such a system, the wavefunction corresponding to the vaccuum/ground state |O> is a function of one spatial variable x: Psi_0 (x) = <x|O> . Here |x> denotes eigenstate of the operator X with eigenvalue x.

If the system has 3 spatial degrees of freedom, its Hilbert space is spanned by eigenstates of 3 position operators X, Y, Z that mutually commute. Correspondingly the wavefunction of the ground state, Psi_0(x,y,z) = <x,y,z|O> is a function of 3 spatial variables x, y, z. Here |x,y,z> is the commont eigenstate of operators X, Y, Z of eigenvalues x, y, z.
    Last edited: May 31, 2007
  4. May 31, 2007 #3
    I'm lost, but I expected to be. I'm very physics illiterate and just starting to learn.
    Thanks for the reply.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?