Direct sum decomposition into orthogonal subspaces

• B
  • Thread starter sindhuja
  • Start date
sindhuja
Hello All, I am trying to understand quantum information processing. I am reading the book "Quantum Computing A Gentle Introduction" by Eleanor Rieffel and Wolfgang Polak. I want to understand the following better:

" Let V be the N = 2^n dimensional vector space associated with an n-qubit system. Any device that measures this system has an associated direct sum decomposition into orthogonal subspaces V = S1 ⊕ · · · ⊕ Sk for some k ≤ N. The number k corresponds to the maximum number of possible measurement outcomesfor a state measured with that particular device."

Could anyone explain the intuition behind this statement. I think it is a quiet simple beginner level concept which I have not been getting a satisfactory explanation for. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know this book, but I guess what's meant is the following: If you measure some observable (in this case on a system ##n## qubits), this observable is described by some self-adjoint operator on the ##2^n##-dimensional Hilbert space, describing the ##n##-qubit system. You can think of it as a matrix ##\hat{A}## operating on ##\mathbb{C}^{2^n}##-column vectors, which are the components of a vector wrt. an aribtrary orthonormal basis (e.g., the product basis of the ##n## qubits). The possible outcomes of measurements are the eigenvalues of this operator/matrix. To each eigenvalue ##a## there is at least one eigenvector. There's always a basis of eigenvectors, and you can always choose this basis to be an orthonormal set. The eigenvectors for each eigenvalue ##a## span a subspace ##S_i=\mathrm{Eig}(a_i)##. The vectors in eigenspaces of different eigenvalues are always orthogonal to each other (again, because the matrix is self-adjoint). Thus the entire vector space is decomposed into the orthogonal sum of these eigenspaces, ##V=S_1 \oplus S_2 \oplus \cdots \oplus S_k##, where the ##a_i## with ##i \in \{1,\ldots,k \}## are the different eigenvectors. Of course the dimensions of these subspaces are such that
$$\sum_{i=1}^k \mathrm{dim} \text{Eig}(a_i)=\mathrm{dim} V=2^n.$$

Likes Haborix
You can also think of it as saying that when there are degenerate eigenvalues, a measuring device capable of measuring only the associated observable cannot give complete state information. The measuring device is incapable of resolving the decomposition of the state within the degenerate subspace, ##S_i##.

Likes vanhees71

1. What is a direct sum decomposition into orthogonal subspaces?

A direct sum decomposition into orthogonal subspaces is a way of breaking down a vector space into smaller subspaces that are orthogonal to each other. This means that the subspaces have no shared elements and their basis vectors are perpendicular to each other.

2. How is direct sum decomposition different from other types of decomposition?

Direct sum decomposition is different from other types of decomposition, such as direct product decomposition, because it focuses on breaking down a vector space into subspaces that are orthogonal to each other rather than just being independent.

3. What is the importance of direct sum decomposition in linear algebra?

Direct sum decomposition is important in linear algebra because it allows for a more efficient and organized way of representing and solving problems involving vector spaces. It also helps to simplify calculations and proofs by breaking down a larger problem into smaller, more manageable subproblems.

4. How is direct sum decomposition related to the concept of orthogonality?

Direct sum decomposition is closely related to orthogonality because it involves breaking down a vector space into subspaces that are orthogonal to each other. This means that the subspaces have no shared elements and their basis vectors are perpendicular to each other.

5. Can direct sum decomposition be applied to any vector space?

Yes, direct sum decomposition can be applied to any vector space as long as it is finite-dimensional. It is a general method that can be used to break down any vector space into smaller, orthogonal subspaces, regardless of the specific properties or dimensions of the vector space.