1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum well, time evolution of probabilities

1. Aug 6, 2016 #1
    hey,
    this thread might be a bit longer, but I have already calculated everything and I am quiet sure that it is right :)
    Just need someone who confirms me or not :)

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Time evolution of probabilities. An electron inside a quantum well of length L is at time t = 0 in the state
    [tex] \psi(x,0) =\frac{1}{ \sqrt{L} } ( \sin( \frac{\pi x}{ L} ) + \sin( \frac{2 \pi x}{L} )) [/tex]

Outside the well [tex] \psi(x,0) = 0. [/tex] The state [tex] \psi(x,0) [/tex] is thus a superposition of two stationary states[tex] \psi_{1}(x) \ and \ \psi_{2}(x) [/tex] with the energies [tex] E_{1} = \frac { \pi^2\hbar^2 }{2mL^2} \ and \ E_{2} = 4 E_{1} [/tex]

Calculate the porbability that the electron is in the interval (0, L/2) at the time [tex] t = \pi \hbar / E_{1} [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

So, that is the homework, now I show you how i get a result:

[tex] \psi(x,t) = \psi(x,0) e^{-iHt/\hbar} [ \psi_1(x,0) + \psi_2(x,0) ] e^{-iHt/\hbar} =\psi_1(x,0)e^{-iE_1 t/\hbar } + \psi_2(x,0)e^{-iE_2 t/\hbar } [/tex]

[tex] \Rightarrow | \psi(x,t)|^2 = |\psi_1(x,0)e^{-iE_1 t/\hbar } + \psi_2(x,0)e^{-iE_2 t/\hbar }|^2 [/tex]
    [tex] = | \psi_1(x,0)|^2 + |\psi_2(x,0)|^2 + \psi_1(x,0)^* \psi_2(x,0) e^{i(E_1 - E_2) t / \hbar } + \psi_2(x,0)^* \psi_1(x,0) e^{i ( E_2 -E_1) t / \hbar} [/tex]
    Now we put this into the integral:
    [tex]
    \int_0^b \! | \psi(x,t)|^2 \, d x [/tex] where b = L/2 and we geht the result
    [tex] 0,5 + \frac{2}{3\pi} e^{i(E_1 E_2)t/\hbar} + \frac{2}{3\pi} e^{-i(E_1 E_2)t/\hbar} [/tex]
    Now I insert: [tex] t = \pi\hbar/E_1 = \pi \hbar 2mL^2 / \pi^2 \hbar^2 = 2mL^2/(\pi\hbar) [/tex]
    [tex] E_1 = \pi^2\hbar^2 / (2mL^2) [/tex]
    [tex] E_2 = 4E_1 = 2\pi^2 \hbar^2 / (mL^2) [/tex]

And after doing that, we find out that the probability that the electron in in the interval (0,L/2) for the specific time is 0,076.

Thank you :)

Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2016 #2

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Is the wavefunction at ##t=0## what you are already given? It has an incorrect unit, for 1D system like this the unit of the wavefunction should be ##m^{-0.5}##.

4. Aug 6, 2016 #3
    Yes it is already given. I forgot the root over the "L". Sorry for that, i corrected it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted