Quark spatial change in nucleons & nuclear stability

In summary, there have been experiments, such as deeply virtual Compton scattering, that have measured the change in nuclear disintegration rates and gamma emissions with changes in the distance between quarks in nucleons. These experiments also provide access to general parton distributions. The papers describing this phenomenon, such as leading twist nuclear shadowing and nuclear generalized parton distributions, also discuss the mechanism of Compton scattering and its effect on the position of quarks within nucleons. However, the theory is not developed enough to determine the exact changes in nuclide half-life due to quantum effects. These experiments and theories are highly technical and may require further explanation for non-mathematicians.
dkbenn
I am curious to know if there have been any experiments to measure change in nuclear disintegration rates/ gamma emissions with change of distance between quarks in nucleons?

Thank you.

Douglas

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it's called deeply virtual Compton scattering and gives access to general parton distributions. If you are interested I can provide references.

Yes I would be very interested in the references. Do the papers describe the mechanism of the Compton scattering and how it changes the position of the quarks within the nucleons? I am particularly interested in the distance changes between the quarks and the amount of change in the nuclide half life. Is this a quantum effect so that certain minimum distance changes have to occur before a nuclear rearrangement occurs? I am a non-mathematician (Professor of Radiology) so after reading the papers perhaps I could follow up with more questions.

Thank you.

It is a rather technical topic. For instance :
Leading twist nuclear shadowing, nuclear generalized parton distributions and nuclear DVCS at small x
So, this is exactly a description of gamma emission parameterized in terms of quark-quark correlations.

To my knowledge, the theory is not developed to the point where you are going to have an answer for half-lives however. In practice of course, we have no means to control the quarks positions so we could record changes in life-time. So at best, you would only have theoretical estimates.

1. What is a quark and how does it contribute to nucleons and nuclear stability?

A quark is a fundamental particle that makes up protons and neutrons, which are the building blocks of nucleons. These nucleons are essential for the stability of the atomic nucleus. Quarks have a property called "color charge" that allows them to interact with other quarks through the strong nuclear force, keeping the nucleons bound together and maintaining nuclear stability.

2. How do quarks change spatially within nucleons?

Quarks are constantly moving and interacting within nucleons. They can change their spatial positions through processes such as gluon exchange, where they exchange particles called gluons to maintain their binding. Additionally, quarks can also change their spatial arrangement through the creation of new particles, such as pions, which help to stabilize the nucleons.

3. How do changes in quark spatial arrangement affect nuclear stability?

Changes in quark spatial arrangement can have a significant impact on nuclear stability. For example, if there is an imbalance in the number of up and down quarks within a nucleon, it can lead to an unstable nucleus. In addition, changes in the energy levels and interactions between quarks can also affect the overall stability of the nucleus.

4. Can the spatial arrangement of quarks be manipulated to enhance nuclear stability?

Scientists have been researching ways to manipulate the spatial arrangement of quarks to enhance nuclear stability. This includes experiments such as colliding particles at high energies to study the behavior of quarks and developing theoretical models to better understand their interactions. However, the manipulation of quark spatial arrangement is still a complex and ongoing area of research.

5. How does the study of quark spatial change in nucleons contribute to our understanding of the universe?

Studying the spatial change of quarks in nucleons is crucial for understanding the fundamental forces and particles that make up the universe. Quarks play a vital role in the structure and stability of matter, and their interactions are essential for the creation of elements and the formation of stars and galaxies. By studying quarks, scientists can gain a deeper understanding of the fundamental laws that govern our universe.