Queen Guitarist Brian May - Bang The Complete History of the Universe

In summary, Queen's guitarist Brian May has recently completed his doctorate in astrophysics, despite putting his studies on hold to pursue a career in music. He has since co-authored a book on the history of the universe and enjoys splitting his time between the observatory and the recording studio. May's love for both music and science has earned him the nickname "Dr. May" and admiration from fans and peers alike.
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
Queen's Brian May Rocks an Astrophysics Rhapsody
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=90273890&ps=bb5

. . .
Just as his band was starting to make some noise 35 years ago, May was studying astrophysics. Though he put off his studies to live the life of a rock god, he maintained his interest in the mysteries of the universe. Just last year, he completed a dissertation on interplanetary dust, earning a doctorate from Imperial College in London.

Since then, he's co-authored a book with a title that could pass for a Queen song: Bang! The Complete History of the Universe.
. . . .
May enjoys dividing his time between the observatory and the recording studio these days, he says. But regardless of whether he's inspecting stars or working on his new album, he likes being called "Dr. May."

Science news on Phys.org
Never was a big Queen fan. I liked some songs. Didn't care for the glitter-metal scene.

Yet, I envy that guy! Rock-star AND Astrophysicist. Two unobtained goals in my life...

Hah, see, the Ph.D. was really just a ploy for a book deal. Never trust a rock star!

Really, I loved Queen and heartily applaud Dr. May.

Ivan Seeking said:
Really, I loved Queen and heartily applaud Dr. May.

Hear, hear! I still listen to them all the time...even my teenage daughter and her friends love them.

Kudos to Brian May. Too bad Freddy's gone...of all the bisexual Zoroastrian rock stars, he was my favorite!

Now if we could say the same about Jimmy Page.

1. Who is Brian May and why is he important in the field of music?

Brian May is a British musician and astrophysicist. He is best known as the lead guitarist of the rock band Queen. May's contributions to the band's music, including iconic guitar solos and songwriting, have made him a highly influential figure in the music industry.

2. What is the significance of "Bang The Complete History of the Universe" in relation to Brian May?

"Bang The Complete History of the Universe" is a book written by Brian May, along with fellow astrophysicists Sir Patrick Moore and Chris Lintott. It explores the history and development of the universe, from the Big Bang to the present day, in an accessible and engaging manner.

3. How did Brian May balance his music career with his interest in astrophysics?

Brian May's interest in astrophysics began before his music career with Queen, as he was studying for a PhD in the subject before the band became successful. He later returned to complete his degree and has continued to pursue his passion for astrophysics alongside his music career, often finding ways to combine the two.

4. What inspired Brian May to write "Bang The Complete History of the Universe"?

Brian May has always been fascinated by the universe and has been an amateur astronomer since childhood. He was inspired to write "Bang The Complete History of the Universe" as a way to share his knowledge and passion for astrophysics with a wider audience.

5. How has "Bang The Complete History of the Universe" been received by the public and the scientific community?

"Bang The Complete History of the Universe" has received positive reviews from both the public and the scientific community. It has been praised for its engaging writing style and for making complex scientific concepts accessible to a wider audience. It has also been used as a teaching resource in schools and universities.