Wannabe phd, but want to delay: is this a problem?

• Programs
  • Thread starter totheface
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Delay Phd
In summary, the individual is a recent graduate who has been applying to PhD programs but is not feeling excited about committing to one at the moment. They enjoy physics and an extreme sport, but feel that if they start a PhD, physics will take up more of their time and prevent them from enjoying their sport. They are considering delaying their PhD until they are older and have "gotten all the stupid out of [their] system." They are also hoping to get a job in the optics sector to show that they have not "wasted" their time in between graduating and starting a PhD. They have read a forum thread discussing delayed PhDs and are wondering if it's possible for them to apply for a PhD 4, 5
totheface
its a long post i for the question i ultimately ask i know, but i would really appreciate some advice. I t

recently graduated, and have been applying to phds but I have been finding that the thought of commiting to a phd doesn't excite me at present. genuinely think that if i get an offer i may end up turning it down.

here's why:

I enjoy physics (and mathematics) and a certain extreme sport. I am not particularly good at either but they give me such satisfaction.

heres my dilemma: i still love the sport that i do: I only have until i am thirty before my knees give out (it can be pretty brutal - some dudes are still killing it into the late 30's but they are rare) and I have to become a weekend warrior. It also affords me some great possibilities to travel, to meet very diverse people and generally get up to no good, soemthing which i enjoy. I've been doing it for the past 9 months all the whilst I've been fitting at least two hours (often more) of solid physics study in my downtime (instead of watching TV. working it out, its more than i ever did at university). however, if i do a phd, physics will take more than its fair share.

quite possibly i may just want to move around for the next few years: i may do a TOEFL course and city jump, and the thought of being static for the next 4 years is simply making me uneasy.

In short: rather than start a phd virtually straight out of undergraduate study like all of my peers, is it possible for me to delay doing a phd until I am a bit older and have calmed down a bit more (maybe when i have a nice girlfriend, that sort of thing) and got all the stupid out of my system? that way i'll be able to focus entirely on my phd and do the best i can. I mean, provided i can demonstrate that I've kept doing, and learning NEW physics during could i still apply for a phd 4,5 even 6 years after graduating from my UG course?

i mean, if its cool for brian may to go off and rock out with queen, and 25 years later complete his phd, then surely mine can wait less than quarter that time?

:)

ive read this thread before posting

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=318258&highlight=delay&page=2

cos I am sure my question is no different to many others, but I am fairly certain that the intersection on a venn diagram of people who are physicists and people who do what I do is pretty small. ( i can think of one other person, but once he graduated he never looked back).

p.s. if it matters I am hopefully going to get a job in the optics sector so I am hoping that should show I've not totally 'wasted' my in between time

Physics news on Phys.org
It is possible: you'll still have much of your working life left at 30, afterall! But, the most important thing is that you're clearly not ready for a PhD just now so it would be extremely unwise to start one. A PhD is something you should only do if you really want to. Clearly this sport is more important to you for the time being, it sounds as though you have already made effort to weight up the options.

The thing is: even if it wasn't possible to go back and do a PhD, would you still make the decision?

Just keep in mind that it may get harder later on. You mention waiting until you have a nice girlfriend. Well, a PhD very likely means a long distance move; the more ties you have the more difficult that will be.

thank for the replies guys!

fasterthanjoao said:
It is possible: you'll still have much of your working life left at 30, afterall! ...

The thing is: even if it wasn't possible to go back and do a PhD, would you still make the decision?

thats good to hear. that's my reasoning. its not like i intend on becoming a beach bum. iI wholeheartedly want to keep learning new stuff. physics, maths, science and higher intellectual pursuits will provide me with more long term happiness than what I am doing now, but i see nothing wrong with celbrating and revelling in the transitory nature of my sport as well...

...haha that is a good question! I am not really sure to be honest. I tend to just wait until the options are all laid out and then come to a decision when i have to walk home drunk after a night out. Some of my best life decisions gets made on those walks...

mrb said:
Just keep in mind that it may get harder later on. You mention waiting until you have a nice girlfriend. Well, a PhD very likely means a long distance move; the more ties you have the more difficult that will be.

haha yeh, that's a good point, but i don't mean it too literally. i just mean it in the sense when I am ready to settle down a bit more and do the career i want to do the rest of my life. getting a girlfriend is just a euphemism for that i suppose.

it meant dying to paul erdos though! ...some truth in that :P

I understand your concerns about delaying your PhD and wanting to focus on other aspects of your life right now. It is important to remember that a PhD is a significant commitment and it is important to have a strong passion and motivation for the subject in order to successfully complete it.

That being said, there is nothing wrong with taking some time to explore other interests and passions before committing to a PhD program. In fact, many students take a gap year or two before starting their PhD to gain more experience and perspective. As long as you continue to stay engaged in physics and continue to learn and grow in the field, there is no reason why you couldn't apply for a PhD program a few years after graduating from your undergraduate course.

It is also important to note that a PhD program is not just about studying and doing research. It also involves networking, attending conferences, and collaborating with other scientists. So even if you take some time to focus on other interests, you can still stay connected to the physics community and continue to build your skills and knowledge.

In the end, the decision to delay a PhD program is a personal one and it is important to do what feels right for you at this time in your life. Just make sure to keep your passion for physics alive and continue to pursue your goals and dreams. Good luck!

1. Can I delay pursuing a PhD without it being a problem?

Yes, you can delay pursuing a PhD without it being a problem. It is important to carefully consider your reasons for delaying and to have a plan in place for how you will use your time during the delay.

2. Will delaying my PhD affect my chances of getting accepted into a program in the future?

Delaying your PhD may not necessarily affect your chances of getting accepted into a program in the future. Admissions committees will consider your qualifications and potential as a candidate, regardless of whether you have delayed your pursuit of a PhD.

3. How long can I delay pursuing a PhD before it becomes a problem?

The length of time you can delay pursuing a PhD before it becomes a problem will vary depending on your field of study, career goals, and personal circumstances. It is important to consult with advisors and mentors to determine the best timeline for your individual situation.

4. Will delaying my PhD affect my career prospects?

Delaying your PhD may not have a direct impact on your career prospects. However, it is important to consider how delaying may affect your overall career timeline and opportunities for advancement in your field.

5. Is it common for individuals to delay pursuing a PhD?

Yes, it is not uncommon for individuals to delay pursuing a PhD for various reasons such as financial constraints, personal circumstances, or career opportunities. It is important to remember that everyone's journey is unique and delaying a PhD does not make you any less qualified or capable.