1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question: A metal sphere of radius R carries a total charge Q

1. Jan 31, 2006 #1

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Question: A metal sphere of radius R carries a total charge Q. What is the force of repulsion between the "northen" hemisphere and the "southern" hemisphere?

The force for a small area 'da' on the outer surface should be

[tex] df = \sigma da E [/tex]

What E to use? My guess is that it should be averaged over both sides of the surface.
    So,

[tex]E = \frac{1}{2} (\frac{Q}{4 \pi \epsilon_0 R^2} + 0)[/tex]
    [tex] \vec{E} = \frac{Q}{8\pi \epsilon_0 R^2} \vec{e_r} [/tex]

and

[tex] \sigma = \frac{Q}{4 \pi R^2} [/tex]

And the answer should be

[tex] \int_{0}^{2\pi} \int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \frac{Q^2 \sin\theta}{32 \pi^2 \epsilon_0 R^2}(\sin\theta \cos\phi \vec{e_x} + \sin\theta \sin\phi \vec{e_y} + \cos\theta \vec{e_z}) d\theta d\phi [/tex]

Is my approach correct?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2006 #2

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, but you should follow Tesla's advice and recognize from the beginning that the x and y components of F vanish due to the axial symmetry.

4. Jan 31, 2006 #3

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Thanks Meir Achuz. That would have been my next step. Stating that F_x and F_y are zero by symmetry.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?