Question About 3D Printing and Cancerous Liver

In summary, a 3D printed organ might rid a person of cancer if it was the only organ affected, but it is not yet possible to reliably produce healthy organs.
davgonz90
With all the hype of 3D printed organs lately, I've wondered: let's say that someone with terminal cancer in the liver undergoes a liver transplant with a completely new 3D printed organ. Assuming that this was the only organ affected, would this rid them of the cancer? If so, why? And if not, why not?

Biology news on Phys.org
If the cancer had not spread beyond the liver and the in vitro grown replacement liver was perfectly healthy then yes: they would be cured. Bear in mind though that we're still not ready to start producing replacement organs this way. There are very few regenerative medicine products on the market and whilst there have been some transplants (like this trachea operation) we cannot yet reliably produce healthy organs.

Likes berkeman and Evo
That's what we're counting on you for, Ryan! :smile:

Likes Ryan_m_b
That's an Ikea synthetic nano-throat, not a real organ with living cells. I dear say not quite organ-like, as questioned. Some road to be paved, I expect. Not principally impossible, though pig organs may be more realistic, for now.

The trachea was a synthetic polymer loaded with cells taken from the patient, it was biological in nature.

Well, still a synthetic implement, though human cells grew on it. Which is good.

I'd imagine that if we were able to reliably build fully functional 3D printed organs, survival rates for cancer would be higher (assuming that you didn't get cancer in a body part that isn't replaceable, like the brain for example).

I don't want to stray too far off topic, but would the same principle apply for atherosclerosis (hardening of the arteries)? That's a major killer, and if we simply replaced the heart or even arteries with biologically printed parts then that should, in principle, prevent heart attacks, heart disease, etc. (although it would still affect smaller arteries).

Again, this is assuming that we are able to build RELIABLE 3D printed body parts.

davgonz90 said:
I don't want to stray too far off topic, but would the same principle apply for atherosclerosis (hardening of the arteries)? That's a major killer, and if we simply replaced the heart or even arteries with biologically printed parts then that should, in principle, prevent heart attacks, heart disease, etc. (although it would still affect smaller arteries)

I think taking arteries out and replacing them, even if you had a reliable replacement, would likely be such a major trauma to the body that is would not be workable.

I am reminded of some information I gave to my heart doctor. "If you were to take all the veins and arteries out of my body and stretch them end to end ... I would die, so don't DO that !"

phinds said:
I think taking arteries out and replacing them, even if you had a reliable replacement, would likely be such a major trauma to the body that is would not be workable.

I am reminded of some information I gave to my heart doctor. "If you were to take all the veins and arteries out of my body and stretch them end to end ... I would die, so don't DO that !"
Hahaha, I'm totally saying that at my next doctor's appointment.

Let's see if I can remember from my biology text. Organs are made up of different tissues, which are made up of different cells. At the very least, a liver is going to need liver cells (obviously), it's also going to need nerve cells, and cells that make up the walls of the capillaries, arteries and veins, as well as the cells making up the bile ducts. I'm not saying you can't print an organ yet; but you're going to need a lot more than just 4 cell reservoirs for all the different types. What I can see is a combination of printing for the organ scaffolding and maybe simple vascularization that would allow the body to regenerate the organ from donor cells. Not simple, but then nothing worth while is tha simple anyway.

I am NOT a Doctor of Medicine. Take any advice with a pound of salt. (Or maybe not salt. Don't want to raise your blood pressure!)

1. What is the connection between 3D printing and cancerous liver?

3D printing technology has been used in the medical field to create models and prototypes for surgical planning and training. In the case of cancerous liver, 3D printing can be used to create accurate models of the liver, which can help surgeons plan and practice complex surgeries.

2. Can 3D printing be used to treat cancerous liver?

While 3D printing technology has shown promise in creating accurate models for surgical planning, it is not yet advanced enough to be used for actual treatment of cancerous liver. However, research is being conducted to explore the potential of using 3D printing in creating personalized treatment plans for liver cancer patients.

3. How can 3D printing improve the treatment of cancerous liver?

One potential benefit of 3D printing technology in the treatment of cancerous liver is the ability to create personalized treatment plans based on the individual anatomy of the patient's liver. This can lead to more precise and effective treatment, potentially improving outcomes for patients.

4. Is 3D printing widely used in the treatment of cancerous liver?

Currently, 3D printing technology is still in its early stages of development and is not yet widely used in the treatment of cancerous liver. However, it is gaining more attention and researchers are exploring its potential for improving treatment in the future.

5. Are there any risks associated with using 3D printing in the treatment of cancerous liver?

As with any new technology, there are potential risks associated with using 3D printing in the treatment of cancerous liver. Some concerns include the accuracy and reliability of the 3D printed models, as well as the potential for introducing foreign materials into the body. More research is needed to address these concerns and ensure the safety of using 3D printing in the medical field.