Question about a Windmill / Turbine

In summary, a turbine which blows air into a windmill to make it turn is referred to as a "reverse windmill." This type of windmill is different from the "movable windmill" which can be moved by the wind, and the "movable reversed windmill" which is in the middle of the movable windmills and is actuated by the wind power.
Kamran_110

Homework Statement

Consider a turbine which actuates the windmills by blowing air into it. (If we use beat steady windmills (which is called reverse windmills) instead of movable windmills, deliberate the following conditions by parametric view. (Ignore the friction power (force))
A. Compare moving speed of air molecules in the following conditions:
1. There are reversed steady windmills between movable windmills.
2. There are movable reversed windmills in the middle of movable windmills which are actuated by wind power (energy).

Homework Equations

I am not sure
E = ½mv2
W = Fd
mv22 = ½mv12
v2 = v02 + 2as
a
= ( v2 - v02 ) / 2s
F
= ma = m ( v2 - v02 ) / 2s
K
= 0.5mv2
Wtot = K2 - K1 = ΔK

The Attempt at a Solution

I do not know

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you ask your professor for some clarification or guidance in the right direction?

scottdave said:
Can you ask your professor for some clarification or guidance in the right direction?

Ok dear friend

Kamran_110 said:
beat steady windmills (which is called reverse windmills

Kamran_110 said:
movable windmills

Kamran_110 said:
movable reversed windmills
Can you shed any light on what these terms mean? I can find no matches in a Google search.

Edit: that wasn't quite true. I got lots of matches on "reverse windmill", as a particularly flamboyant way to score in basketball.

Likes scottdave, gneill and CWatters
Kamran_110 said:
Ok dear friend
I just meant that it appears that you don't know where to start - your description is vague, then you have several formulas that have to do with motion and force and kinetic energy.

So far, nobody here is familiar with this particular terminology, so I thought a fellow classmate or your prof might be able to shed more light that we can (right now, at least).

This forum is great for helping you along in the right direction, but we need to understand more about this problem before we can do that.

1. How does a windmill / turbine work?

A windmill / turbine works by capturing the kinetic energy from the wind and converting it into mechanical energy. The blades of the windmill / turbine are connected to a rotor, which spins when the wind blows. This rotation then powers a generator, producing electricity.

2. What is the difference between a windmill and a turbine?

Although the terms are often used interchangeably, there is a slight difference between a windmill and a turbine. A windmill is typically used to grind grains or pump water, while a turbine is specifically designed to generate electricity.

3. How efficient are windmills / turbines?

The efficiency of a windmill / turbine depends on several factors, such as the wind speed and the design of the blades. On average, windmills / turbines can convert 30-50% of the wind's energy into electricity. However, advancements in technology have led to higher efficiency rates in newer models.

4. What are the benefits of using windmills / turbines for energy production?

Windmills / turbines are a renewable energy source, meaning they do not deplete the Earth's resources. They also do not produce harmful emissions, making them environmentally friendly. Additionally, wind energy is often cheaper than traditional forms of energy.

5. Are there any limitations to using windmills / turbines for energy production?

One limitation of windmills / turbines is their dependence on wind speed and direction. If the wind is too weak or too strong, the turbines may not be able to generate enough electricity. They also require a significant amount of space and can potentially disrupt the natural habitats of birds and other animals.