Question About Allergic Reaction

• Medical
  • Thread starter lisab
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reaction
In summary: in summary, histamines and other molecules are released which cause swelling and oedema (fluid accumulation) of the skin, most notably on the lips due to their thin skin.
lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
How come lips swell as part of an allergic reaction? What is in lips that makes them susceptible to reacting like that?

Biology news on Phys.org
Allergies result from an excessive response to an allergen (no secrets there). Basically what happens is that histamines and other molecules are released (by mast cells and basophiles I believe, it's been a while) that cause a difference in permeability of the blood vessels. Pressure then causes proteins and whatnot to leak out of the vessels, increasing tissue osmotic pressure and thus causing swelling.

Last edited:
But why the lips? If the histamines are released into your general system, why isn't the reaction more universal?

This comes up because someone at my work had an allergic reaction over the weekend. He had not eaten anything for several hours beforehand, just all of a sudden his lips swelled. Sort of freaked him out - understandably so!

It's for the same reason asthma is localised to the airways and eczema is localised to the skin. I remember something about it being due to the responsive immune cells only being present in a certain tissue instead of going systemic, but I'm not sure.

lisab said:
But why the lips? If the histamines are released into your general system, why isn't the reaction more universal?

This comes up because someone at my work had an allergic reaction over the weekend. He had not eaten anything for several hours beforehand, just all of a sudden his lips swelled. Sort of freaked him out - understandably so!

the only thing i can think of at the moment is that the skin is so thin on the lips, so it is more sensitive to allergens. you will see this some in contact dermatitis from say poison ivy (rhus dermatitis). thick skin on your palms may be unaffected, but thinner skin on your wrist is. the reaction can be a bit time-delayed, too.

the only other guess might be the abundance of nerve endings there? i really don't know with this.

What is an allergic reaction?

An allergic reaction is a response by the body's immune system to a substance that is normally harmless, such as food, pollen, or medication. The immune system mistakenly identifies the substance as a threat and produces antibodies to fight it, resulting in symptoms such as hives, swelling, and difficulty breathing.

What are the common symptoms of an allergic reaction?

The symptoms of an allergic reaction can vary depending on the severity and type of allergen. However, common symptoms include hives, itching, swelling, coughing, sneezing, runny nose, watery eyes, difficulty breathing, and in severe cases, anaphylaxis.

What should I do if I experience an allergic reaction?

If you experience an allergic reaction, it is important to seek medical attention immediately, especially if you have difficulty breathing or have a history of severe allergic reactions. Your doctor may prescribe medication, such as antihistamines or epinephrine, to help manage your symptoms. It is also important to avoid the allergen in the future to prevent future reactions.

How are allergic reactions diagnosed?

Allergic reactions can be diagnosed through a combination of a physical exam, medical history, and allergy tests. Allergy tests, such as skin prick tests or blood tests, can help identify specific allergens that may be causing your reaction.

Can allergies be prevented?

While allergies cannot be prevented, you can take steps to reduce your exposure to allergens. This may include avoiding certain foods or substances, keeping your living space clean, using air filters, and taking medication as prescribed by your doctor. It is also important to consult with an allergist to develop a personalized treatment plan for managing your allergies.