Question about calculating the density of the Universe

In summary, the conversation was about methods for determining the density of the universe and an equation was discussed: Ω=(2/3Λ)(c^2/H^2). However, after plugging in SI units for the variables, an incorrect result was obtained. It was pointed out that this may be due to an algebra error and the correct equations should involve q0 and the critical density. The correct equation for the total density of the universe is also provided.
tovisonnenberg
TL;DR Summary
I came across a website whose equation for determining the density of the universe produced a strange result.
Hello! I was reading up on methods for determining the density of the universe and I came across this page: https://hypertextbook.com/facts/2000/ChristinaCheng.shtml

I tried using equation stated, Ω=(2/3Λ)(c^2/H^2), with SI unit versions of both variables:
Λ=1.1056 * 10^-52 m^-2
H=2.1927 * 10^-18 s^-1
And I got an obviously false result: (~10^104). Am I doing something wrong, or is this equation incorrect?

Space news on Phys.org
You're doing an algebra error, possibly stemming from misreading the lambda as being in the denominator. That's why the 10^-52s add up instead of cancelling out.

Having said that, it looks wrong. The density should evaluate to 1, but this doesn't. Likely because what's written there is just twice the dark energy density. And why does this equal twice the deceleration parameter? The sign doesn't even match.

Likes tovisonnenberg
The correct equations should be

$$q_0 = \frac{1}{2}\Omega_{m,0} - \Omega_{\Lambda,0}$$

To calculate the density of the universe you can just use the $\rho_{crictical,0}$. Because we are living in a flat universe (at least that is what we are assuming). In this case the total density of the universe should be equal to the critical density.

$$1 = \Omega_{tot,0} \equiv \frac{\rho_{tot,0}}{\rho_{cric,0}} $$So $$\text{Total density of the universe today} \equiv \frac{3H_0^2}{8\pi G} = 8.60 \times 10^{-27}kg/m^3$$

Likes tovisonnenberg

1. How is the density of the Universe calculated?

The density of the Universe is calculated using a combination of observational data and theoretical models. Scientists use measurements of the cosmic microwave background radiation, the distribution of galaxies, and the expansion rate of the Universe to estimate the total amount of matter and energy present. This is then divided by the total volume of the observable Universe to determine the average density.

2. What is the current estimated density of the Universe?

The current estimated density of the Universe is approximately 9.9 × 10^-30 grams per cubic centimeter. This is equivalent to about 5.9 protons per cubic meter.

3. How does the density of the Universe affect its expansion?

The density of the Universe plays a crucial role in determining the rate of its expansion. If the density is high enough, the gravitational pull between matter and energy will eventually slow down and reverse the expansion. If the density is too low, the Universe will continue to expand at an accelerated rate.

4. What is dark matter and how does it contribute to the density of the Universe?

Dark matter is a type of matter that does not interact with light and therefore cannot be directly observed. However, its presence can be inferred through its gravitational effects on visible matter. It is estimated that dark matter makes up about 27% of the total density of the Universe.

5. How does the density of the Universe vary across different regions?

The density of the Universe can vary significantly across different regions, with some areas being more densely packed with matter and energy than others. This is due to the uneven distribution of galaxies and clusters of galaxies, as well as the effects of dark matter and dark energy. However, on average, the density remains relatively constant throughout the observable Universe.