1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about canonical transformations

1. Sep 23, 2010 #1
    Hi everybody

I've got a problem related to canonical transformations that I can`t solve:

Given the expression of the canonical transformation

[tex]
    Q=3q\cdot\big[ \exp\big((p+q)^5\big)+1\big] +3p\cdot \big[\exp((p+q)^5)+1\big]+p
    [/tex]
    [tex]
    P=p+q
    [/tex]
    I have to calculate an associated canonical transformation. Anybody can help me?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2010 #2
    Are you sure you have stated exactly your problem?

4. Sep 23, 2010 #3
    Exact problems is (from exam):
    Given the transformation

[tex]
    Q=3q\cdot\big[ \exp\big((p+q)^5\big)+1\big] +p\cdot \big[2\exp((p+q)^5)-1\big]
    [/tex]

[tex]
    P=q+p
    [/tex]

Modify it slightly in order to be canonical

Answer. After imposing the condition for the Poisson bracket (equal to one) we get the result:
    [tex]
    \boxed{Q=3q\cdot\big[ \exp\big((p+q)^5\big)+1\big] +3p\cdot \big[\exp((p+q)^5)+1\big]+p}
    [/tex]

In part two we're asked to obtain an associated canonical transformation. But after reading my books and papers about mechanics I still don't know what's an "associated trasformation mean". Is it the inverse transformation?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  5. Sep 24, 2010 #4
    OK. Now part of the problem is clear - supposing it is indeed a canonical transformation (I didn't check). But what the author of this exercise means by an "associated canonical transformation" - that I don't know.

6. Sep 24, 2010 #5

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Same here. I suppose the questioner might just be looking for an equivalent transformation, but written in a different functional form... something like

[tex]Q=Q(q,P)=3P\left(e^{P^5}+1\right) +P-q[/tex] and [tex]P=q+p[/tex]
    instead of
    [tex]Q=Q(q,p)=3q\left(e^{(p+q)^5}+1\right)+3p\left(e^{(p+q)^5}+1\right)+p[/tex] and [tex]P=q+p[/tex]

...but that's just a guess

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook