Is There a Canonical Transformation for x = 2qa/sin(T) and p = 2qa.cos(T)?

  • Thread starter Thread starter photomagnetic
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Transformations
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
photomagnetic
Messages
13
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Show that x = 2qa/sin(T) and p = 2qa.cos(T) is a canonical transformation
into new coordinates T and momentum q.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


It looks easy, I've tried matrix/jacobi method, and symplectic method. But these two seem to be not canonical. Am I missing something? The question doesn't give anything else. Do I have to find a generating function to prove that they are canonical? But then it'd would be silly, because the professor is very clear about these things. If he wanted to see a F generating function he would have said so.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Clue: do you have any theorems that provide necessary and sufficient conditions for a transformation to be canonical?
 
I re-correct myself, the prof. is an jerk. He hadn't mentioned that we had to use a generating function. now I got it. thanks anyway.
 
That's not nice. I'm sure your prof is a very nice fellow.

Incidentally, there are several different methods that you might have used to show that the given transformation is canonical.
 
Yeah not telling which method we "must" use is not nice either.
Anyway after trying to do 3 hws each week, and spending a huge chunk of time,
people can get mad. Also no need to be politically correct here.