Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about diagonalizable matrices

1. Aug 15, 2013 #1
    Suppose that ##A## is a diagonalizable ## n \times n ## matrix. Then it is similar to a diagonal matrix ##B##. My question is, is ##B## the only diagonal matrix to which ##A## is similar?

I have thought about this, but am unsure if my answer is correct. My claim is that ##B## is the only diagonal matrix to which ##A## is similar, up to a rearrangement (or permutation) of the eigenvectors of ##A## in an ordered eigenbasis for ##ℝ^{n}##. Thus, if you rearrange the vectors in your eigenbasis, you will obtain a different diagonal matrix for ##[L_{A}]_{β}## but this will be merely a rearrangement of the diagonal entries of B.

Is this true? If so, how might I go about proving this conjecture of mine?

BiP

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 15, 2013 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Yes, it's true.

A hint for the proof: the diagonal entries are the eigenvalues of ##A##.

4. Aug 15, 2013 #3

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If ##A = X^{-1}BX = Y^{-1}B'Y## then ##B = (Y X^{-1})^{-1} B' (Y X^{-1})##.
    So if A is similar to two diagonal matrices, then these matrices are similar to each other.
    I guess a starting point would be to check which similarity transformations keep diagonal matrices diagonal, and see what you can say about X and Y that way.

5. Aug 15, 2013 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Not quite. A matrix can be similar to two different diagonal matrices if they have the same numbers on the diagonal in different orders.

6. Aug 17, 2013 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

That's exactly what the OP said:

7. Aug 20, 2013 #6

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

you might look at the characteristic polynomial.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook