Question about Double Slit Experiment with Electrons

In summary, when electrons are shot through two close together slits, they produce an interference pattern like light. However, when an experiment is set up to observe which slit the electron goes through, the interference pattern disappears. This is achieved by placing a light source near the slits and using two microscope-like devices to determine the electron's path. It does not matter if the microscopes are present, as long as the electron interacts with a photon from the light source, its path can be determined and the interference pattern will not appear. Adjusting the intensity of the light source can also affect the visibility of the interference pattern.
AlexChandler
In my modern physics course we learned that electrons, when shot through two close together slits, will produce an interference pattern just light light. However, when you set up an experiment to observe which slit the electron goes through, there is no longer an interference pattern. To my understanding, this is done by essentially putting a light source near the slits, and two microscope like devices to determine which slit the electron went through.

My question is: If we simply put a light source near the slits, but do not try to determine which slit each electron went through, will there be an interference pattern on the screen?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey Alex,

You asked this a while ago, so maybe you've gained some insight since then. But, from what I understand it doesn't matter if we also have the microscopes there to detect the electron. If a photon from the light bulb by the right slit interacts with the electron (i.e. is absorbed by the electron) it has been determined universally that it has traveled through the right slit and the interference pattern will not be created.

When I first learned about this, I just assumed it was subjective, that a scientist had to be there to "observe" it go through the right or the left slit. But, I'm quite certain it's not that way, if the interaction happens between the photon and the electron the path the electron took can be determined.

Another interesting thing I've read about this is observing the effect of lowering or increasing the intensity of the light source. If you lower it, the chances of an interaction between the electron and photon decreases and you get a mixture between an interference pattern and just two slits after many electrons are shot. Eventually, you can increase the intensity to a point where every electron will interact with a photon (or at least a huge majority) and you will always see the interference pattern.

Let me know if you think that's right or if you have anything to add to it.

1. What is the Double Slit Experiment with Electrons?

The Double Slit Experiment with Electrons is a famous experiment in quantum physics that demonstrates the wave-like behavior of electrons. It involves passing a beam of electrons through two closely spaced slits and observing the resulting interference pattern on a screen.

2. Why is the Double Slit Experiment important?

The Double Slit Experiment is important because it challenges our understanding of the nature of matter. It reveals that particles, such as electrons, can also behave as waves, which goes against our classical understanding of physics. This experiment has had a significant impact on the development of quantum mechanics.

3. What is the significance of the interference pattern in the Double Slit Experiment?

The interference pattern seen in the Double Slit Experiment is significant because it shows that electrons, which are thought of as particles, can also exhibit wave-like behavior. This supports the idea of wave-particle duality, where particles can behave like waves under certain conditions.

4. How does the Double Slit Experiment with Electrons differ from the experiment with light?

While the setup of the Double Slit Experiment with Electrons is similar to the experiment with light, there are some key differences. Electrons have a much smaller wavelength than visible light, so the interference pattern is much smaller and harder to observe. Additionally, with electrons, the location of each electron can be determined, whereas with light, it is impossible to determine the exact path of each photon.

5. What are the practical applications of the Double Slit Experiment with Electrons?

The Double Slit Experiment with Electrons has many practical applications in the field of quantum mechanics. It has been used to study the behavior of other particles, such as atoms and molecules, and has contributed to the development of technologies such as electron microscopy and electron spectroscopy. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles in quantum computing and quantum cryptography.