Question about falling bodies

In summary, the forces at work when a spherical object rolls down an angled surface and tends to adhere to the surface for a short time are gravity, friction at the point of contact, and potential adhesion between the ball and surface depending on their material structure and environmental factors. The ball may also experience some resistance from the air as it moves through it. These forces may vary depending on the specific scenario and environmental conditions.
ggblk
What force(s) are at work when a spherical object, rolling down an angled surface, tends to adhere to the surface, if only for a short while? Does such a thing exist or am I playing fast and loose with the laws of nature?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by adhere? Are you saying the sphere is sticky and sticks to the surface?

Mu naught said:
What do you mean by adhere? Are you saying the sphere is sticky and sticks to the surface?

Thanks for replying.

No, not sticky in the standard sense of the word. I was hoping there might be physical forces at work while the sphere was rolling that would make it less likely to depart from the surface -- if only for a few seconds.

This is for a work of fiction, so I'm less interested in exactitude as I am in giving the scene an authentic feeling.

ggblk said:
No, not sticky in the standard sense of the word. I was hoping there might be physical forces at work while the sphere was rolling that would make it less likely to depart from the surface -- if only for a few seconds.

This is for a work of fiction, so I'm less interested in exactitude as I am in giving the scene an authentic feeling.

If the surface is less than vertical, the ball will roll down it, otherwise, it will fall.

202250 said:
If the surface is less than vertical, the ball will roll down it, otherwise, it will fall.

I realize that. The surface is only *slightly* less than vertical. What I'm asking is, what specific forces are at work?

theres the gravity force and there is the force of friction at the point of contact between the sphere and the surface.

When a ball sits on the surface, it might linger there for a moment because it takes time to accelerate after it's released. There might be some force of adhesion between the ball and the surface. Adhesion depends on the material structure and composition of the ball, surface, and the environmental parameters like temperature. There will also be some resistance from the air around the ball, which has to be displaced in order for the ball to move through it. I can't think of any other major forces involved, in a simple scenario.

What is the definition of a "falling body"?

A falling body is an object that is in motion due to the force of gravity. It experiences a downward acceleration and eventually reaches a terminal velocity when the air resistance balances out the force of gravity.

How does air resistance affect the falling speed of an object?

Air resistance is a force that opposes the motion of an object through air. As an object falls, it experiences air resistance which increases with velocity. This means that as the falling object accelerates, the air resistance also increases until it balances out the force of gravity and the object reaches a constant speed known as terminal velocity.

What factors affect the rate at which an object falls?

The rate at which an object falls is affected by several factors including the mass of the object, the force of gravity, and the presence of air resistance. Objects with a greater mass will fall faster than objects with a smaller mass. Similarly, objects in a stronger gravitational field will fall faster than objects in a weaker gravitational field. Air resistance also plays a role in the falling speed of an object, as discussed in the previous question.

Does the shape of an object affect its falling speed?

Yes, the shape of an object can affect its falling speed. Objects with a larger surface area will experience more air resistance and therefore fall slower than objects with a smaller surface area. For example, a feather will fall much slower than a rock due to its larger surface area and the resulting air resistance.

What is the difference between free fall and falling with air resistance?

Free fall is the motion of an object under the sole influence of gravity, without any air resistance. In this scenario, the object experiences a constant acceleration of 9.8 meters per second squared. Falling with air resistance, on the other hand, involves the opposing force of air resistance which can slow the object's descent and eventually reach a terminal velocity.