Frame Dragging: Q&A for Time Travelers

In summary, TheDoctor6000 asks for help understanding time travel and Frame Dragging. TheDoctor6000 states that he does not understand some of the equations, but is willing to try to understand them. He asks for help understanding what the w means and what the letters mean. He also asks for help understanding how angular momentum works. Finally, TheDoctor6000 asks if there is any way that Tipler Cylinders could still aid in the possibility of time travel.
TheDoctor6000
Moderator's note: offshoot from https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/what-is-frame-dragging.762986/

I am trying to understand time travel and i can understand Tipler Cylinders and the cosmic string theory that assist the possibility of time travel but I was looking at Frame dragging because that’s how CTC (closed time like curves) work but those equations have not been taught to me yet. If you could make sense of them to me in a simple and basic way so that a year seven student could understand that would be a great help.
Thankyou
TheDoctor6000

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
TheDoctor6000 said:
... those equations have not been taught to me yet. If you could make sense of them to me in a simple and basic way so that a year seven student could understand that would be a great help.

Most 7 year olds have not had algebra. Makes equations difficult to explain.

Pick an equation and list which parts you do understand. It is often easy to add missing information. Someone can also correct an error if there is one.

I will go with th weak fram dragging équation The things I don’t understand are,
What does the w mean
Am I dividing that answer to the w by top and bottom?
And what do those letters mean I know what the numbers are on the bottom of the fraction line (they are indices) but on the top I am confused.

It would be a great help if you could answer these
And sorry if my questions are tedious to answer. I am just very interested in the possibilities of time travel and how it works.
Thankyou
TheDoctor6000

TheDoctor6000 said:
Am I dividing that answer to the w by top and bottom?
And what do those letters mean I know what the numbers are on the bottom of the fraction line (they are indices) but on the top I am confused.
ω is the frame-drag rate in rad/s
ω is greek letter "omega". It is radians per second which equals 9.55 rpm. A lot of cars have a gauge that reads thousands of rpm. Multiply that number by around 100.

J is the angular momentum. I think it is the same as L if you disregard particle spin. Alina Zagitova does a beautiful demonstration of angular momentum in this video. at end of 2:57 she kicks and then pulls her arms and legs into her center in 2:58. In 2:59 she has arms out and leg fully extended for the landing and then hops and pulls everything in for the rotations in 3:00. They have a slow motion freeze frame image at 6:04. At 4:18 she is adds angular momentum by kicking in a diagonal camel spin. She then does a sit spin(4:22) and an I-spin(4:26) using that angular momentum. She gets a full 6 seconds of spin and chews up the ice because most of her mass is directly above the skate when her foot is above her head.
If you understand and can talk about figure skating you probably understand angular momentum good enough for any casual conversation or for science fiction writing. I do not have any experience traveling through time. My impression was that a person would already become molecular soup if they get close enough to a black hole for the difference to matter. If you hand wave spaghettification then you can hand wave the spin too. Just assume classical mechanics in science fiction unless it is convenient to do otherwise.

G is the gravitational constant.

Last edited:
Thank you so much I appreciate all your help but what about Tipler Cylinders even if theoretical they could still aid in the possibility of time travel?
:smile:

What is frame dragging?

Frame dragging, also known as the Lense-Thirring effect, is a phenomenon in which the rotation of a massive object in space causes spacetime to be "dragged" around with it, creating a curved, twisting effect.

How does frame dragging relate to time travel?

Frame dragging is a key concept in some theories of time travel, as it has been proposed that it could potentially create closed timelike curves, which would allow for time travel into the past.

Has frame dragging been observed in real life?

Yes, frame dragging has been observed in a few experiments, most notably through the Gravity Probe B mission by NASA, which confirmed the effect predicted by Einstein's general theory of relativity.

What are the implications of frame dragging for our understanding of the universe?

The phenomenon of frame dragging has important implications for our understanding of gravity and the structure of spacetime. It also has potential applications in technologies such as spacecraft navigation and gravitational wave detection.

Is frame dragging the only theory that could potentially allow for time travel?

No, there are other theories and phenomena that have been proposed as potential mechanisms for time travel, such as wormholes and cosmic strings. However, frame dragging remains one of the most widely studied and well-supported theories in this regard.