1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about frictional and normal force

1. Dec 7, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Okay so there is a wall that has a mass of 150 kg and I am pushing it but the wall does not move. The coefficient of friction is 2 and I am trying to find the frictional force using the frictional force formula. Although, I need the normal force in which I am using to push the wall but don't know how to find the normal force.

2. Relevant equations
    Fr = (mu)(Fn)

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2014 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You need to describe the set up better. Frictional force between what two objects - you and the wall?
    Friction acts parallel to the surfaces in contact. If there is no movement and no other forces in that direction then the frictional force will be zero, regardless of the coefficient. The static frictional force is only as large as it needs to be to prevent relative motion. The correct equation is |Fr| <= mu |Fn|.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted