Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about Genetic Engineering in general

1. Nov 4, 2009 #1
    Hi everyone. I am writing about an essay on genetic engineering and wondering if cloning would come under genetic engineering or modifications. Some sources state it is while some state that it is a separate entity. I personally feel that cloning is not GE/GM, but if it is relevant then my essay would have more points, I suppose.

Anyway, what are your views on this and please state why if you consider cloning as GE/GM.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2009 #2
    In the colloquial sense of the word 'cloning', one is making an exact genetic copy of the full genome of a parent cell. Some reptiles and plants clone naturally, while in mammals cloning is not found in nature, neither is it beneficial. Genetic engineering techniques are widely used throughout this entirely complex process.

In molecular biology circles, cloning is taken to mean the insertion of specific genes into another host's plasmid in order to clone a specific gene sequence. This is a definitely an example of genetic engineering because you are altering the organism's genetic information.

4. Nov 5, 2009 #3
    my question is where would it fall if its not on GE/GM.

so yes for me.

5. Nov 5, 2009 #4

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's in the word: genetic engineering or genetic modification. Cloning for the sole purpose of growing an organism out of a differentiated cell does not involve genetics. With the exception that a donor oocyte is often used from a different origin, so that would mean the mitochondrial material would be mixed in the offspring.

6. Nov 5, 2009 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As Monique states, cloning is not genetic modification. Cloning is just reproduction.

It maybe used as a tool to produce many organisms containing the exact copy of a genetic modification introduced into one, and therefore researchers who do genetic engineering will also frequently do a lot of cloning, but cloning is not the modification itself.

7. Nov 6, 2009 #6
    Depends if your essay's going to speculate on the future of GE, wherein there's almost definitely applications for cloning. (Clone an organism with modifications each time to test out those modifications)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook