Question about gravity and forces acted upon

In summary, my professor said that since gravity pulls down any object on earth, the objects themselves push up against earth. Intuitively this is difficult to grasp, but can be explained using examples. There may be some ambiguity in the original statement, but the important thing is that we understand what he is saying.
deuce123

Homework Statement

My professor said that since gravity pushes down any object on earth, the objects themselves push up against earth. Intuitively this is difficult too grasp, can anyone give an example or anything to help me out. Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
deuce123 said:

Homework Statement

My professor said that since gravity pushes down any object on earth, the objects themselves push up against earth. Intuitively this is difficult too grasp, can anyone give an example or anything to help me out. Thank you
This is Netwons's Third Law, two object exert force on each other in equal magnitudes but in opposite directions.
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/Newt.html
So try to think this way and consider their masses and due to force their accelerations.You ll see that it makes sense.

deuce123 said:

Homework Statement

I figure it would be a bit clearer if said as: "earth's gravity pulls down any object and if the object is stopped from falling because it is resting on the surface, or something else supported by the surface, that's what is pushing up against the object, with an equal and opposite force. Although perhaps he also meant, a bit counter-intuitively, that looking up from the object's point of view, since the pull of gravity goes both ways, the gravity of the object is also pulling the Earth down. In any case, I'd make a case for there being a bit of ambiguity there.

Austin Hook said:
the gravity of the object is also pulling the Earth down.
That might be a bit confusing. I guess you mean "down" from the point of view of the object's gravitational field, i.e. up towards the object in terms of normal up and down.

Yes, that's what I was saying. Just speculating if there were even some unlikely ambiguity in the original statement.

Thank you everyone!

1. How does gravity affect objects on Earth?

Gravity is a force that pulls all objects towards the center of the Earth. This means that any object on Earth will experience a downward acceleration of 9.8 meters per second squared due to the force of gravity.

2. What are the different types of forces acting on an object?

There are four main types of forces: gravitational, electromagnetic, strong nuclear, and weak nuclear. Gravitational forces are responsible for the attraction between objects with mass, while electromagnetic forces are responsible for the interactions between charged particles.

3. How is force related to acceleration?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, force and acceleration are directly proportional. This means that the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be. Similarly, a larger mass will result in a smaller acceleration for a given force.

4. Can gravity be manipulated or controlled?

No, gravity is a natural force that cannot be controlled or manipulated. However, its effects can be counteracted by other forces, such as the lift force in aerodynamics, or the force of a rocket's engines during space travel.

5. How does the force of gravity vary on different planets?

The force of gravity is directly related to the mass and distance of an object. Therefore, it varies on different planets depending on their size and mass. For example, the force of gravity on Mars is about 38% of that on Earth, while the force of gravity on Jupiter is about 2.5 times greater than on Earth.