Forces acting on a truck on a slope

In summary, the problem involves a truck on a 45 degree slope with a horizontal external force acting on it. The mass of the truck is 5000 kg and it is not sliding down the slope. The forces acting on the truck are gravity, the ground, and the external force. Using the equations, it can be determined that the force of the ground is equal to the external force and the force of gravity is equal to the truck's mass multiplied by the acceleration due to gravity.
bolzano95

Homework Statement

The truck is on the slope 45 degrees and on it is acting a horizontal external force. How big is the force of the ground if the mass of the truck is 5000 kg and the truck is not sliding down the slope?

Homework Equations

First of all I drew myself a sketch. Then I asked myself: Which forces are acting on the selected body (=truck). My answer was
1. force of gravity (because of the Earth)
2. Force of the ground (because the truck is in touch with the ground)
3. External force.
Is there anything else that affects a body? In my opinion no.

[tex]\vec{F_{ground}} + \vec{F_{gravity}} + \vec{F_{external}} = 0[/tex]
[tex]( F_{ground}sin\alpha, F_{ground}cos\alpha ) + ( 0, -mg ) + ( -F_{external}, 0 ) = ( 0, 0 )[/tex]
[tex] F_{ground}sin\alpha = F_{external}[/tex]
[tex] F_{ground}cos\alpha = mg[/tex] ... and from here I express equation for [tex] F_{ground}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good!

What is the definition of a "force" in physics?

A force is a push or pull that can cause a change in the motion or shape of an object.

How does gravity affect a truck on a slope?

Gravity is a force that pulls objects towards the center of the Earth. In the case of a truck on a slope, gravity pulls the truck downwards, causing it to roll down the slope.

What other forces act on a truck on a slope besides gravity?

Other forces that may act on a truck on a slope include friction, air resistance, and the normal force from the surface the truck is on.

How does the angle of the slope affect the forces acting on a truck?

The steeper the slope, the greater the force of gravity pulling the truck downwards. This can result in a faster acceleration down the slope.

What factors can affect the overall force acting on a truck on a slope?

The weight of the truck, the angle of the slope, and the presence of any external forces (such as wind or a push) can all affect the overall force acting on a truck on a slope.