1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about if and then statements. IE implication statements.

1. Dec 9, 2011 #1
    Question about "if and then" statements. IE implication statements.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

When something is for example asking for:

if |x-3|<δ, prove that |x+3| <δ + k (where k is a constant)

are they supposing it's true? Like are they giving you a hypothesis? How do implication statements work?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I say yes that the "if" is the hypothesis. Then the "then" is what we are trying to prove right?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Re: Question about "if and then" statements. IE implication statements.

Right!

4. Dec 9, 2011 #3

Thanks for the verification. Now here's another question that i'm confused about.

The question states the following:

Let f(x) = 1/(x?2) and c = 3.
    If x>2, prove that |f(x) - f(3)| <|x^2 - 9|/36.
    if |x-3|<δ, prove that |x+3| <δ + k (where k is a constant, which you must determine).
    if δ ≤ 1 and |x - 3| < δ, use these results to find M, such that |f(x) - f(3)| < M*δ

Now for the 3rd "if" statement, that means i'm allowed to use the previous statements i've proved to prove this one right? So i'm not working in a "vacuum". Is that correct?

5. Dec 9, 2011 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Correct!! Once you proved the two other if-statements, then you are allowed to use them.

6. Dec 9, 2011 #5

Even though it seems like this is already solved...

If you have a statement, say, A, and another statement, say, B, and if the logic is such that, "If A, then B," we assume A is true. Of course, if you are given a problem that requires you to prove that this logical statement is true, you can use your assumption of the truth of A to prove that B is a consequence of A. In general, an "If... then..." statement is symbolized,

[itex]A \Rightarrow B[/itex]

for some statements A, B. Again, this means that if A is true, then B is so/is true/is a result/is a consequence of A. Also, different symbols are wildly used, I think, for this same statement, such as →. And, on an extended note, I would suggest looking up "logic" on the internet or something, as its interesting! For example, you will likely encounter many more logical statements in mathematics, and find that taking the 'opposite' of statements you want to show can help to actually prove them.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook