Question about interference by observation (double slit exp.)

In summary, the double slit experiment shows that, under observation, the electron behaves like a particle rather than a wave. This is because the photon that is used for observation adds enough energy to the system, causing the electron to choose one single path rather than both. The exact reason for this behavior is unknown. In order to get accurate results in this experiment, it is best to conduct it in a dark room with no external fields that could affect the electrons. In everyday situations with photons constantly hitting electrons, they would all behave like particles rather than waves.
khkwang
In the double slit experiment, under observation, the electron acts like a particle rather than a wave. From my understanding this is because the photon that hits it for observational purposes adds enough energy into the system to affect the electron and make it chose one single path rather than both (broken telephone here, so please correct me where I'm wrong).

So I have two questions, first, why does this extra energy cause the electron to change from a wave to a particle?

And secondly, what "ideal" conditions are required for this experiment? Because in a normal lit room in everyday situations, aren't photons always hitting electrons? Thus wouldn't they all end up acting like particles rather than waves?

Physics news on Phys.org
khkwang said:
In the double slit experiment, under observation, the electron acts like a particle rather than a wave. From my understanding this is because the photon that hits it for observational purposes adds enough energy into the system to affect the electron and make it chose one single path rather than both (broken telephone here, so please correct me where I'm wrong).

So I have two questions, first, why does this extra energy cause the electron to change from a wave to a particle?

And secondly, what "ideal" conditions are required for this experiment? Because in a normal lit room in everyday situations, aren't photons always hitting electrons? Thus wouldn't they all end up acting like particles rather than waves?

One must rid onself of the idea that an electron 'changes from a wave to a particle'.It's observed as a particle whenever an observation is made.I'm afraid nobody knows 'why'.
The ideal condition would be a dark room with no external fields disturbing electrons.

What is the double slit experiment?

The double slit experiment is a classic experiment in physics that demonstrates the wave-particle duality of light. It involves shining a light source through two parallel slits and observing the interference pattern that is created on a screen behind the slits.

What is meant by "interference by observation" in the double slit experiment?

"Interference by observation" refers to the phenomenon in the double slit experiment where the act of observing or measuring the light passing through the slits changes the interference pattern that is created on the screen. This is a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics and highlights the impact that the observer has on the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

Why does observing the light change the interference pattern in the double slit experiment?

Observing the light changes the interference pattern in the double slit experiment because it collapses the wave function of the light particles. In other words, the act of measuring or observing the light particles forces them to behave like particles rather than waves, causing the interference pattern to disappear.

What are the implications of interference by observation in the double slit experiment?

The implications of interference by observation in the double slit experiment are far-reaching and have significant implications in the field of quantum mechanics. It challenges our traditional understanding of the behavior of particles at the quantum level and highlights the role of the observer in shaping reality.

Can interference by observation be observed in other systems besides the double slit experiment?

Yes, interference by observation can be observed in other systems besides the double slit experiment. This phenomenon has been observed in various experiments involving particles such as electrons, atoms, and even large molecules. It is a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics and has been demonstrated in many different contexts.