1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about inverse of matrix

1. Jan 24, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given this matrix
    ##\begin{bmatrix}As+B \\ C \end{bmatrix}##
    which is invertible and ##A## has full row rank. I would like to show that its inverse has no terms with ##s## or higher degree if
    ##\begin{bmatrix}A \\ C \end{bmatrix}##
    is invertible.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

The only thing I have concluded is that you can manipulate it like this:

##\begin{bmatrix}I & 0 \\ 0 & sI \end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix}As+B \\ C \end{bmatrix}=\begin{bmatrix}As+B \\ Cs \end{bmatrix}=s\begin{bmatrix}A \\ C \end{bmatrix}+\begin{bmatrix}B \\ 0 \end{bmatrix}##
    where each ##I## is conformable with the matrix product. Not sure how to take this any further, though. I think my main problem is that I don't know how to use the rank property of ##A##.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2017 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

What can you say about the determinant of ##\begin{bmatrix}As \\ C \end{bmatrix}## in terms of powers of s?
    How can you use the determinant (of the original matrix) to find entries of the full inverse matrix?

4. Jan 27, 2017 #3
    Thank you for your hints, pushed me into the right direction and helped me prove the statement!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted