Question about isolated points.

• Thread starter cragar
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, the conversation is discussing whether a set containing only the value of pi on the real line is closed. The individual asking the question believes it to be closed because it contains its limit point. Another person agrees but raises doubts about the definition of a limit point. The conversation continues with a suggestion to assume the set is not closed and a contradiction is found, further supporting the idea that the set is indeed closed.
cragar

Homework Statement

If I just had the set containing [itex] \pi [/itex] on the real line.
So this is an isolated point. Is this set closed?

The Attempt at a Solution

I think this set is closed because it contains its limit points, because it only has one point.
Am i thinking about this correctly?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm, that's an interesting question. I guess it would be closed because that's the only point in the set, and there's no option for an e-neighbourhood around it.

I think you are thinking about it correctly but that you are even asking this question makes me wonder. Can you explain your doubts further? What's the exact definition of a limit point?

thats what I thought too

If we wanted to put things on more definite footing, we could assume that it isn't closed. Then there is some point x1 such that for all E > 0 there is some x in our set such that d(x,x1) < E. However, since x = π in all cases, then the only such point is π, a contradiction.

1. What are isolated points?

Isolated points are points in a set that have no other points in their immediate vicinity. They are "isolated" because they are not surrounded by any other points.

2. How do isolated points differ from other points?

Unlike other points, isolated points have no neighboring points within a certain distance. They stand alone and do not form any kind of pattern or cluster.

3. What is the significance of isolated points in mathematics?

Isolated points are important in topology and real analysis, as they help define the concept of continuity. A function is continuous at a point if and only if the point is not isolated.

4. Can isolated points exist in a continuous function?

Yes, isolated points can exist in a continuous function. However, the function must have some other points that are not isolated in order to be considered continuous.

5. How can isolated points be identified in a set of data?

In a set of data, isolated points can be identified by plotting the points on a graph and looking for points that are not part of any pattern or trend. They can also be identified by calculating the distance between points and identifying any points with a significantly larger distance to their nearest neighbor.