1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about limit of series

1. Oct 21, 2008 #1
    This isn't a homework question, it's a question I encountered during self-study.

It said prove that the limit as n approaches infinity of 1/n^2 + 1/(n+1)^2 +...+ 1/(2n)^2 = 0

Is it sufficient to say that each term converges to 0 as n approaches infinity, and so the entire sum must also approach infinity?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2008 #2

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, because infinity*0 is an indeterminate form. You'll have to sum the series and take the limit properly (or perhaps find something more creative).
  4. Oct 21, 2008 #3
    I think you can compare all terms in the series to a P series 1/n^2, which diverges.

Each successive term in the series, an < an+1 < an+2, etc... is declining and all are <= the first term.

So that argument should be OK, without knowing anything else about the series.

5. Oct 21, 2008 #4
    I understand that infinity*0 is indeterminate, but if each term converges to 0, wouldn't the sum look like 0 + 0 + ... + 0? Making the entire thing 0?
  6. Oct 22, 2008 #5
    While that appears to be true at first, it is not always true. Consider the function:

f(n) = 1/n + 1/(n+1) + 1/(n+2) + ... + 1/(2n)

The smallest term in this sum is 1/(2n). There are a total of n+1 terms. This means that the sum f(n) > (n+1)/(2n) = 1/2 + 1/(2n) > 1/2 for n >= 1. Thus, it doesn't matter what value of n we have, f(n) is always greater than 1/2.

Yet, in this example, each of the terms tends to 0 as n tends to infinity. What matters is how fast the terms go to 0 compared to how many terms there are.
  7. Oct 22, 2008 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You meant "converges" here, didn't you?

8. Oct 22, 2008 #7

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Ben's already implied this, but I though i'd weigh in on this: Try Squeezing it.
  9. Oct 22, 2008 #8

Could you please expand on this?
  10. Oct 22, 2008 #9
    Alright. How about this.

0 < 1/n^2 + 1/(n+1)^2 + ... + 1/(2n)^2 < 1/n^2 + ... + 1/n^2 [There are n+1 terms]

1/n^2 + ... + 1/n^2 = (n+1)/n^2 = 1/n + 1/n + 1/n^2, which converges to 0. Thus the original sequence must also converge to 0.
  11. Oct 23, 2008 #10

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Yes, you nailed it.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?