Question about notation: lowercase delta in what appears to be a derivative

In summary, the conversation discusses the meaning of the functional derivative, which is a derivative taken with respect to a function instead of a variable. The Wikipedia article and the book by Thornton and Marion provide different definitions of the operator, but they are equivalent. The conversation also mentions confusion about the notation and equations involved.
Just a nobody
In the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamilton's_principle#Mathematical_formulation", I ran across a notation I'm not familiar with. The part I'm unsure about is:

[itex]\frac{\delta \mathcal{S}}{\delta \mathbf{q}(t)}=0[/itex]

In the context of the article, what is the meaning of that equation?

Thanks!

(My math background goes up to multivariable calculus.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The article you linked to explains it, well sort of. Just keep reading that article, reread until you understand. The answers are there.

The sentence after the expression you quote talks about it.

The rest of the article leads me to believe that it's just like a normal derivative, except that it's being taken with respect to a function instead of a variable.

I should have mentioned this in my original post, but part of my confusion is also coming from a book I have (Classical Dynamics by Thornton and Marion), which says:

[itex]\frac{\partial \mathcal{S}}{\partial \alpha} d \alpha \equiv \delta \mathcal{S}[/itex]

where

[itex]\mathcal{S}(\alpha) = \int_{t_1}^{t_2} \! L(\mathbf{q}(\alpha, t), \dot{\mathbf{q}}(\alpha, t); t) \, dt[/itex]

and

[itex]\mathbf{q}(\alpha, t) = \mathbf{q}(0, t) + \alpha \eta(t)[/itex]

and

[itex]\eta(t)[/itex] is a function such that [itex]\eta(t_1) = \eta(t_2) = 0[/itex]​

I'm having trouble seeing how these two definitions of the [itex]\delta[/itex] operator are equivalent. Thornton and Marion's [itex]\eta(t)[/itex] seems to be the same as Wikipedia's [itex]\boldsymbol\varepsilon(t)[/itex].

Does the following look correct?

Let f be a function [itex]f(x(t))[/itex].

Approaching from the Wikipedia side:

Let [itex]\varepsilon(t)[/itex] be a small perturbation from [itex]x(t)[/itex].

[itex]\delta f = f(x(t) + \varepsilon(t)) = \varepsilon(t) \frac{\partial f}{\partial x(t)}[/itex]

Approaching from the Thornton and Marion side:

[itex]x(t) = x(0, t); x(\alpha, t) = x(0, t) + \alpha \eta(t)[/itex]

[itex]\delta f = \frac{\partial f}{\partial \alpha} d \alpha = \frac{\partial f}{\partial x(t)} \frac{\partial x(t)}{\partial \alpha} d \alpha = \eta(t) \frac{\partial f}{\partial x(t)} d \alpha[/itex]​

I'm not sure what to do with that [itex]d \alpha[/itex] in the Thornton and Marion approach. Should that be there?

1. What does the lowercase delta symbol mean in a derivative?

The lowercase delta symbol (δ) in a derivative typically represents an infinitesimal change in the value of a variable. It is often used in the notation for partial derivatives, where it indicates that the derivative is taken with respect to a specific variable.

2. How is the lowercase delta symbol used in mathematical notation?

In mathematical notation, the lowercase delta symbol can represent various concepts such as change, difference, or divergence. It is commonly used in calculus to represent infinitesimal changes in variables or functions.

3. Can the lowercase delta symbol be used to represent a specific value?

No, the lowercase delta symbol is not used to represent a specific value. Instead, it is used to indicate a change or difference in values, often in relation to a specific variable or function.

4. Is there a difference between the lowercase delta symbol and the uppercase delta symbol?

Yes, there is a difference between the lowercase delta symbol (δ) and the uppercase delta symbol (Δ). The lowercase delta symbol is used to represent infinitesimal changes, while the uppercase delta symbol is used to represent finite differences.

5. How is the lowercase delta symbol pronounced?

The lowercase delta symbol is often pronounced as "delta" or "delt-uh". It is derived from the fourth letter of the Greek alphabet and is commonly used in mathematical and scientific contexts.