1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about orthogonal functions

1. Aug 1, 2011 #1

Char. Limit

Gold Member

All right, so I was wondering... I took a look at generating orthogonal functions (over an interval), and say I have these four:

[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{5}{3} - \frac{2}{3} x[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{11}{3} \sqrt{\frac{5}{3}} - \frac{10}{3} \sqrt{\frac{5}{3}} x + \frac{2}{3} \sqrt{\frac{5}{3}} x^2[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{245}{27} \sqrt{\frac{7}{3}} - \frac{116}{9} \sqrt{\frac{7}{3}} x + \frac{50}{9} \sqrt{\frac{7}{3}} x^2 - \frac{20}{27} \sqrt{\frac{7}{3}} x^3[/tex]

These four polynomials are all orthonormal and orthogonal over the interval [1,4]. Now what I want to know is, is it possible to prove that these are the ONLY polynomials of degree 3 or fewer that satisfy orthonormality and orthogonality?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 1, 2011 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The answer is obviously no -- just remember your linear algebra. (did you notice that you're working in a vector space with inner product?)

But the answer is yes (up to sign) if you include another condition that I think you meant to include. Once you make that condition explicit, I think the proof is straightforward by induction.

4. Aug 1, 2011 #3

Char. Limit

Gold Member

Umm... sorry, but I don't quite get what you mean. What condition are you referring to?

And let me get out my old linear algebra book... I think I know what you mean though.

5. Aug 1, 2011 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, I was hoping you'd take some time to think about what you mean....

But what I think you are thinking is not simply for an orthonormal basis on the space of degree-3 polynomials, but you actually wanted a basis where each basis vector is a different degree.

6. Aug 1, 2011 #5

Char. Limit

Gold Member

Yes, that's true. I guess I sort of forgot to mention that... sorry about that.

And after re-reading my linear algebra book, I see what you mean by the earlier comment. Thanks for the help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook