1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about Physical Chemistry Graduate School

1. Nov 28, 2015 #1
    I'm currently a freshman a MIT. I was planning to do a Chemistry and Physics double major but after looking at the requirements for a Chemistry minor, it wouldn't take any additional classes to do a Physics and Math double major with a minor in Chemistry. The reason this is appealing to me is that I would be able to take all the math courses I'm interested in and only have to take the Physical Chemistry sequence and a few other chem classes (Orgo 1, Inorg 1, and an intensive lab course) which enables me to largely avoid the side of Chemistry I have no interest in.

Currently I have a research project in Civil and Environmental Engineering but next school year I'll have a research project with a physical chemistry professor whose interests align with mine. Also, while in high school, among other research, I did work in a local Chemistry lab. I plan to get a research projects in a variety of areas while at MIT but I do plan to get at least two different Chemistry ones.

I have taken a full Physical Chemistry sequence at a local university in high school and I will be testing out of MIT's Thermodynamics and Physical Chemistry 2 (Intro to Stat. Mech) classes. Also, I am currently taking the graduate level chemistry Statistical Thermodynamics and plan to take the graduate level Chemistry Statistical Mechanics and Kinetics before I graduate.

My main concern about taking this path is that by religating Chemistry to a minor, I lose my chances getting into a competitive Physical Chemistry graduate school. Anyone have any experience on something like this?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2015 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

In general, going to graduate school in X when you have majored in Y makes you less competitive than majoring in X. How much less competitive depends on the student and the admissions committee.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook