Question about point on a line?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of one-to-one correspondence between sets of numbers and points on a line or in a square. The book mentions that there are the same amount of points on a line and in a square, and that these points can be represented by two numbers. It is mentioned that adding all the reals from 0 to 1 and 1 to 2 can also be put in one-to-one correspondence with the natural numbers, but this does not work for uncountably infinite sets. The conversation also touches on the idea of one-to-one correspondence between sets of numbers and points, rather than between points themselves. It is mentioned that two numbers can determine a point in the plane. Overall, the conversation highlights the
cragar
I was reading the book one, two , three ... infinity . And he says that their are the same amount of points on a line as their are in a square. A line from 0 to 1 and then a 1x1 square.
He says when can represent any point in that square with 2 numbers like coordinates. And if we add these numbers together then we can draw a one to one correspondence between the numbers in the square and the line. But then couldn't I just add all the reals from 0 to 1 and then 1 to 2 , and then put these into a one to one correspondence with the natural numbers.
Or does this not work because they are uncountably infinite.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
That is precisely the definition of "uncountably infinite"- that it cannot be put in one-to-one correspondence with the natural numbers. It can be shown that the rational numbers, between any two given numbers, are "countably infinite" (can be put in one-to-one correspondence with the natural numbers) but that the real numbers, between any two given number, and so the set of all points in an interval of the number line, is not.

so as long as what I am combining is countable then I can draw a one to one correspondence. But it kinda seems to me that in the book he is drawing a one to one correspondence between the set that has two numbers in it and a point. Not necessarily a one to one correspondence between the points themselves.

Last edited:
Two numbers will, of course, determine a point in the plane and so there is a one-to-one correspondence between pairs of numbers and points in the plane.

ok I can see that , Thanks for your response.

1. What is a point on a line?

A point on a line is a specific location on a line that has a unique set of coordinates. It can be represented as an ordered pair (x,y) or as a single value on a number line.

2. How do you find the coordinates of a point on a line?

To find the coordinates of a point on a line, you can use the slope-intercept form (y = mx + b), where m is the slope and b is the y-intercept. Alternatively, you can use the distance formula or the midpoint formula to find the coordinates.

3. Can a point be on more than one line?

No, a point can only be on one line at a time. A point represents a single location and can only have one set of coordinates.

4. What is the difference between a point and a line?

A point is a specific location with no size or shape, while a line is a continuous collection of points extending infinitely in both directions. A line is made up of an infinite number of points, but a point cannot be made up of any other elements.

5. How do you determine if a point is on a given line?

To determine if a point is on a given line, you can substitute the coordinates of the point into the equation of the line. If the equation is true, then the point is on the line. Alternatively, you can graph the point and the line and see if they intersect at that location.