Question about 'pricey' books in maths at amazon.

• Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books
In summary, the conversation discusses the high prices of math books on Amazon, specifically those with titles like "Handbook of ____". The participants suggest looking for used copies, checking eBay and other online platforms, and reaching out to students who may be willing to sell their books at a lower price. The person asking for help also mentions their interest in finding a high school level algebra book and a basic calculus introduction book. Suggestions are made to browse at a local Barnes and Noble or consider purchasing the affordable "Shaum's outlines".
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
is it only me or have you also have seen it that every book in amazon in mathematics that starts like this: 'Handbook of ____' costs at least 100 dollars?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I don't find that surprising. Annoying, outrageous, yes, but not surprising. Handbooks are typically rather large books. Medium sized mathematics textbooks typically cost over 100 dollars now, especially higher level texts. Fortunately I no longer have to price calculus texts- I'd hate to think what they cost now. (When I was a freshman in college I was horrified at having to pay $24 for a calculus text! Fortunately, my abacus cost less.)

we can help you find used copies of math books that are out of use, but sometimes actually superior to the ones costing high prices on amazon.

let us know what you are interested in.

ebay sometimes has good math books and physics books, but you need to wait a while before you find the one you are looking for

also if you are a student there may be people in a year or years higher that want to sell their books which u can pick up cheap

other than that, long term libury books can do the trick

Hello. :blushing: Sorry for budding in, but I also find the same difficulty. And I would like to ask for some help.

I find this problem too. The prices are just too high. But I do not know where to go to find good used books online.

I have always been interested in mathematics. Sadly I do not even know calculus, outside a short introduction I had to it in a physics course in high school.

There are two things that I would like to have:

1. A good book that is on high school level algebra. A pre-calculus book is what I'm looking for. Something that is comprehensive at this level, but is understandable for the layman. (Most of the stuff that I find here is not really comprehensive. I don't want it too complex because my knowledge is limited, but I do want something better then what you get in high schools these days.)

2. A good introduction book to calculus. I don't want something that will scare me away. Just something that is basic. I emphasis -basic-. Something that is easy to follow. I am a very visual learner --- so something that panders to this is important for me. I would like it to be more then just "steps" to solve idealized textbook problems...Meaning something that gives me some idea of the concepts and meanings behind calculus.

Thanks much. :smile:

No one has any suggestions...?

You can probably find those at your local barnes and noble... just walk in, go to the math section, and browse for something you like that's not too expensive

For a beginning, not very deep introduction to most topics, the "Shaum's outlines" are reasonably priced.

1. What makes a math book considered "pricey" on Amazon?

The price of a math book on Amazon can vary depending on factors such as its publication date, edition, popularity, and availability. Generally, books with newer editions, specialized topics, and high demand tend to have higher prices.

2. Are there any budget-friendly options for purchasing math books on Amazon?

Yes, there are several options for purchasing affordable math books on Amazon. These include buying used or older editions, renting books, purchasing e-books, and taking advantage of sales and discounts.

3. How can I determine if a pricey math book on Amazon is worth the cost?

It's important to consider the content and reputation of the author when determining the value of a pricey math book on Amazon. Reading reviews and looking at the book's table of contents can also give you a better idea of its quality and usefulness.

4. Can I find the same math book at a lower price on other websites?

Yes, it's possible to find the same math book at a lower price on other websites. It's always a good idea to compare prices on different platforms before making a purchase to ensure you're getting the best deal.

5. Are there any additional costs associated with purchasing math books on Amazon?

In addition to the price of the book, there may be additional costs such as shipping fees and taxes. These costs can vary depending on your location and the seller, so it's important to check before making a purchase.