Question about quantum computing theory

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of quantum entanglement and its implications, as well as the possibility of all black holes eventually merging and causing a singularity. The latter theory has been disproven due to the expansion of the universe.
SentryIII
First of all I want to say hello to everyone on these boards, so hello! Everything I say is speculation only from what I've read, for all I know I could be speaking jibberish and not know it.
I read a few things about QM, mostly for quantum computers and I came across something that talked about splitting a particle into two parts. When you spin one half one way the other spins in correlation with the other, which way it spins I'm not sure and I don't think it matters to my question. Now it said that if you sent one half of the particle to another galaxy and changed the direction of the spin on the one locally, then the one you sent away would also change its direction instantly. So I am assuming that they have some intimate relationship.
My question is this, what would happen in the same setup, but one half fell into a black hole, what would happen to the half locally? I almost feel like this can't be answered but I'm hoping there are some very educated people here that could thake their time to give me their theory.
Also, what happens when all the black holes eventually become one since all the galaxies will evenually make a single galaxy (maby I'm assuming too much here)? If this were to happen I believe this could cause the universe to collapse on itself causing a singularity, and possibly repeating "The big bang".
Once again I don't know a lot on the subject. These are my thoughts and was just curious to know what other people thought.

Physics news on Phys.org
SentryIII said:
My question is this, what would happen in the same setup, but one half fell into a black hole, what would happen to the half locally?
I can't answer that but I suggest a forum search since it has been discussed here before.
Also, what happens when all the black holes eventually become one since all the galaxies will evenually make a single galaxy
This will not happen. Black holes are moving away from each other, not towards each other, and that is just going to go on, not reverse
I believe this could cause the universe to collapse on itself causing a singularity, and possibly repeating "The big bang".
This is the so-called "big crunch" scenario and according to modern cosmology, it has long since been rules out as a possiblity because of the expanding universe.

1. What is quantum computing theory?

Quantum computing theory is a branch of computer science that studies how quantum mechanics can be used to process information and perform calculations. It involves understanding the principles of quantum mechanics and how they can be applied to create powerful computers that can solve complex problems much faster than classical computers.

2. How does quantum computing differ from classical computing?

Classical computers use binary digits (bits) to represent and process information, while quantum computers use quantum bits (qubits). This allows quantum computers to perform calculations using quantum phenomena such as superposition and entanglement, which can greatly increase their processing power and efficiency.

3. What are some potential applications of quantum computing theory?

Quantum computing has the potential to revolutionize industries such as finance, healthcare, and cybersecurity. It could be used to solve optimization problems, simulate complex systems, and improve machine learning algorithms. It may also have applications in drug discovery, weather forecasting, and cryptography.

4. Are there any challenges in developing quantum computing theory?

Yes, there are several challenges in developing quantum computing theory and technology. One major challenge is the fragile nature of qubits, which can be easily disrupted by external interference. Another challenge is the complexity of building and controlling quantum systems. Additionally, there are still many unknowns in quantum mechanics that need to be explored and understood.

5. Will quantum computing replace classical computing?

It is unlikely that quantum computing will completely replace classical computing in the near future. While quantum computers have the potential to solve certain problems much faster, they are not suitable for all types of computations. It is more likely that quantum and classical computing will coexist and be used for different purposes, with quantum computing being used for specific, complex tasks while classical computing continues to handle everyday computing needs.