Question about quantum harmonic oscilator

In summary, in order to find the complete energy eigenvalue spectrum of a hamiltonean of the form H = H0 + c, where H0 is the hamiltonean of an harmonic oscilator and c is a constant, one can use the fact that the eigenvalues for the harmonic oscilator are given by E = (n+1/2)\hbar\omega and add the constant c to obtain the new eigenvalues E+C. For a hamiltonean of the form H = H0 + \lambda x, one can define a new variable y = x + (\lambda/ (m w^{2})) and use the same method as before to find the eigenvalues of the new hamilt
Miguel Paramo
Hi, I am preparing for a quantum mechanics exam, and I have this problem that I can`t solve:

I have to find the complete energy eigenvalue spectrum of a hamiltonean of the form:

H = H0 + c

and also another of the form

H = H0 + [tex]\lambda[/tex]x[tex]^{2}[/tex]

Where in both cases, H0 is the hamiltonean of an harmonic oscilator, c and lambda are constants. The variable is x.

I have to find the exact eigenvalues, cannot use perturbation theory, but I can use the fact that I already know the eigenvalues for the harmonic oscilator.

Can anybody help?

Thant you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Miguel Paramo said:
H = H0 + c

Let's do this one first. After we get this, we'll do the second one. Might have to take a supper break in the middle

Suppose |psi> is such that

H0 |psi> = E |psi>.

What does H |psi> equal?

Thak you.

Well, I think that H|Psi> = (Ho+C)|Psi> = (E+C)|Psi>

The the eignevalues are just E+C, where E is the harmonic oscilator energy:

E = (n+1/2)[tex]\hbar[/tex][tex]\omega[/tex]

If it is just that it was so easy, but the second part looks more complicated.

I made a mistake when I copy the problems, the hamiltonean should read:

H = H0 + [tex]\lambda[/tex]x (instead of the x being squared).

Thank you!

Miguel Paramo said:
I made a mistake when I copy the problems, the hamiltonean should read:

H = H0 + [tex]\lambda[/tex]x (instead of the x being squared).

Thank you!

I think I liked it better with [itex]x^2[/itex]!

Maybe try and complete the square for the two terms

[tex]\frac{1}{2}m \omega^2 x^2 + \lambda x[/itex].

OK, I completed squares so the potencial energy part of the hamiltoneal reads:

(1/2) mw[tex]^{2}[/tex] [ x + ([tex]\lambda[/tex]/ (m w[tex]^{2}[/tex])) ][tex]^{2}[/tex] - ([tex]\lambda[/tex][tex]^{2}[/tex] / 2m).

I think that I should now define y as y= x + ([tex]\lambda[/tex]/ (m w[tex]^{2}[/tex]))

So that the term reads

(1/2) mw[tex]^{2}[/tex] y[tex]^{2}[/tex] - ([tex]\lambda[/tex][tex]^{2}[/tex] / 2m)

So, as a function of y, the hamiltonean is again an harmonic oscilator plus a constant, and I can solve it as the previous excercise.

My doubt is if the change of variable may alter the kinetic energy part of the hamiltonean, which depends on the second derivative of x. My guess is that not because the relation between x and y is linear.

Thank you for you help!

[tex]\frac{d}{dx} = \frac{dy}{dx} \frac{d}{dy} = \frac{d}{dy},[/tex]

so, as you say, I don't think the kinetic energy term changes.

1. What is a quantum harmonic oscillator?

A quantum harmonic oscillator is a theoretical model used to describe the behavior of a quantum mechanical system that follows simple harmonic motion. It consists of a particle that is confined to a potential well and is subject to a restoring force that is proportional to its displacement from the equilibrium position.

2. How is a quantum harmonic oscillator different from a classical harmonic oscillator?

A classical harmonic oscillator follows the laws of classical mechanics, while a quantum harmonic oscillator follows the laws of quantum mechanics. In a classical harmonic oscillator, the energy of the system can have any value, while in a quantum harmonic oscillator, the energy is quantized and can only take on certain discrete values.

3. What is the Schrodinger equation for a quantum harmonic oscillator?

The Schrodinger equation for a quantum harmonic oscillator is a second-order partial differential equation that describes the time evolution of the wave function of the system. It can be written as Hψ = Eψ, where H is the Hamiltonian operator, ψ is the wave function, and E is the energy of the system.

4. What is the ground state energy of a quantum harmonic oscillator?

The ground state energy, also known as the zero-point energy, of a quantum harmonic oscillator is the lowest possible energy level that the system can have. It is equal to ħω/2, where ħ is the reduced Planck's constant and ω is the angular frequency of the oscillator.

5. How do real-life systems exhibit quantum harmonic oscillator behavior?

Real-life systems, such as atoms and molecules, can exhibit quantum harmonic oscillator behavior when they are in a potential well. For example, the electrons in an atom are confined to a potential well created by the electric field of the nucleus, and they exhibit simple harmonic motion around the nucleus. This behavior can also be observed in other systems, such as vibrating molecules in a solid or the oscillations of a diatomic molecule.