Question about Recombination Redshift values

In summary, the redshift of recombination can be approximated at z=1500 based on achieving a 50% ionization fraction under the Saha equation. However, this calculation assumes thermal equilibrium, which was not the case in the early universe. Using the Peebles equation, which does not assume equilibrium, the 50% ionization fraction is achieved at z=1210. The value of z=1090 given by the Plank report represents the ratio between the reionization temperature of hydrogen and the current measured temperature of the CMB. The first peak of the BAO spectrum is not directly related to any of these specific z values. For more information, it is recommended to consult experts in the field such as
Dr. Strange
Wikipedia gives the redshift of recombination at z = 1500 (roughly 4,000 K). The Plank report list a 'redshift for which the optical length equals unity' and gives a value of 1090. What is the difference between the two?

Space news on Phys.org
z=1500 is approximated based on achieving a 50% ionization fraction under the Saha equation. This calculation, however, assumes the universe was in a state of thermal equilibrium, which it was not. Under the Peebles equation, which does not assume equilibrium, the 50% ionization fraction is achieved around z=1210. The value of z=1090 merely represents the ratio between the reionization temperature of hydrogen and the current measured temperature of the CMB.

Sorry, I didn't follow all of that. In layman's terms, which value represents the red-shift where the electrons traveled freely through the universe. Also, if it isn't asking too much, could you also give a layman's description of optical depth, τ. I see it's a parameter to ΛCDM and if you Google it, you get tons of information about various attempts to measure and constrain it, but I can't find a conceptual guide to tell me what this parameter is physically.

Dr. Strange said:
Is there any relation between the first peak of the BAO spectrum and one of these z values
Hi Dr. Strange:

You question requires expertise way over my head. The two people who have been particularly helpful in answering my questions about recombination are
@Chronos and @Chalnoth. Perhaps they can answer your question,

Regards,
Buzz

1. What is Recombination Redshift?

Recombination redshift refers to the time in the early universe when neutral hydrogen atoms formed from free protons and electrons. This event occurred approximately 380,000 years after the Big Bang and is responsible for the cosmic microwave background radiation we observe today.

2. How is Recombination Redshift measured?

Recombination redshift is measured using the cosmic microwave background (CMB) radiation. This radiation was emitted at the time of recombination and has been redshifted as the universe expands. By studying the frequency and intensity of the CMB, scientists can determine the redshift value of recombination.

3. What is the significance of Recombination Redshift?

The recombination redshift has significant implications for our understanding of the universe. It marks the transition from a hot, opaque universe to a cooler, transparent one. It also allows us to study the properties of the early universe and make predictions about its evolution.

4. How does Recombination Redshift impact cosmological models?

The precise value of recombination redshift is an important factor in cosmological models. It can help determine the age of the universe, the density of matter and energy, and the expansion rate of the universe. It also provides constraints on the theories of the universe's formation and evolution.

5. Can Recombination Redshift be observed directly?

No, recombination redshift cannot be observed directly. However, its effects can be seen in the cosmic microwave background radiation, which can be observed using telescopes and other instruments. By studying this radiation, scientists can indirectly observe the recombination redshift and its impact on the early universe.