Question about Sequences - sorry if this is in the wrong place.

• Thread starter AnthonyAcc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sequences
In summary, the conversation is about the concept of null sequences and their boundedness. The speaker is having trouble understanding the statement that every null sequence is a bounded sequence. They are specifically struggling with the parts about choosing epsilon and finding a bound for the sequence. The conversation also touches on the concept of convergence and how it relates to boundedness.
AnthonyAcc
I'm taking an introductory class on analysis right now and I'm trying to get through the book that we are reading. I'm having difficulty understanding a park of it and was hoping someone could help me out. The part I'm reading about now is on null sequences:

Here's an excerpt. I'm having trouble entering in the math type so sorry for no symbols.

1. Every null sequence is a bounded sequence. For - choose epsilon=1 - we have the |Z_nu|<1 for nu > mu, and hence the |Z_nu| is less than or equal to K = max(1, |Z_0|, ... ,|Z_mu|).
2.Let {|Z_nu|} be a null sequence. Suppose that for a fixed K the terms of a sequence {Z'_nu} under investigation satisfy the condition that, for all nu after a certain stage mu',

|Z'_nu| is less than or equal to K|Z_nu|.

I have some trouble understanding what this means. Mu here is the stage beyond which |Z_nu| is less than epsilon. I don't really understand the part about K = max (etc) or the Z', mu' part towards the end.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Basically, K is the bound for the sequence. As you said it yourself, mu is the stage beyond which |Z_nu| is less than epsilon, which we chose as 1 (it could have been any positive number, but 1 is as good as anything). Thus, for any index after mu, the corresponding terms of the sequence are less than 1 (follows directly from the statement " For - choose epsilon=1 - we have the |Z_nu|<1 for nu > mu"). On the other hand, there are only finitely many terms before this index mu, i.e. for indices nu <= mu, there are only finitely many corresponding terms of the sequence. Thus, the maximum of absolute value of these terms, i.e. max{|Z_0|, ... , |Z_mu|} could also potentially serve as a bound for the entire sequence. Now considering all of the terms of the sequence together, we can choose K = max(1, |Z_0|, ... ,|Z_mu|) to be the bound on the sequence.

Last edited:
"Every null sequence is a bounded sequence. For - choose epsilon=1 - we have the |Z_nu|<1 for nu > mu, and hence the |Z_nu| is less than or equal to K = max(1, |Z_0|, ... ,|Z_mu|)."

Recall that a null sequence converges to zero. In order to show that every null sequence is bounded you need to show that the absolute value of each term is smaller than constant. The point of your first bullet is that this can be done in two steps.

Step 1: Pick [tex] \varepsilon = 1[/tex]. Because of the convergence we can find an integer N such that

[tex]
|Z_n - 0|= |Z_n| < 1 \quad \forall n \ge N
[/tex]

Step 2: So now we know that infinitely many of the terms (not all of them) are bounded. What about the ones for [tex] m < N [/tex]? Since there are finitely many of them, we can deal with them rather simply. Let

[tex]
K = \max (1, |Z_0|, |Z_1|, \dots, |Z_{N-1}|)
[/tex]

Then, for any integer n, we are guaranteed to have

[tex]
|Z_n | \le K
[/tex]

so every term in the sequence is bounded.

For your second question, this
"2.Let {|Z_nu|} be a null sequence. Suppose that for a fixed K the terms of a sequence {Z'_nu} under investigation satisfy the condition that, for all nu after a certain stage mu',

|Z'_nu| is less than or equal to K|Z_nu|."

doesn't seem to be complete - is there something that follows? This simply states that you have two sequences, [tex] \{Z_\nu \} [/tex] and [tex] \{Z'_\nu \} [/tex] and, after some
point [tex] \mu [/tex], you have

[tex]
|Z'_\nu| < |Z_\nu| \quad \forall \nu > \mu
[/tex]

i.e. - ultimately all the terms of one sequence are bounded by those of the other. Is there some conclusion that you are supposed to find from this result?

1. What is a sequence?

A sequence is a list of numbers or objects in a specific order. It can be finite or infinite and is usually denoted by the symbol "n".

2. How is a sequence different from a series?

A sequence is a list of numbers or objects in a specific order, while a series is the sum of all the terms in a sequence.

3. What is the difference between an arithmetic and geometric sequence?

An arithmetic sequence has a common difference between each term, while a geometric sequence has a common ratio between each term.

4. How do you find the next term in a sequence?

The next term in a sequence can be found by determining the pattern or rule that governs the sequence and then applying it to the following terms.

5. What is the importance of sequences in mathematics?

Sequences are important in mathematics because they help us understand patterns and relationships between numbers or objects. They are also used in many real-life applications, such as in finance, engineering, and computer science.